Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you automatic owners considered using the option in the front fusebox to disable AWD and run 2WD just to see how it runs?

·
Registered
220 Posts
check the fuse box, see which fuse disables awd (on autos) and pull it. the fwd light should go on when you start the car back up...then you go fwd (im assuming this would kick ass if you can get a set of slicks and run it at the track. your times should be better)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Their is a fuse labled FWD but there isn't a fuse in it. I think you need to put a fuse in there to make it FWD but i don't know which one.

·
Registered
663 Posts
NoirWRX03 said:
Have any of you automatic owners considered using the option in the front fusebox to disable AWD and run 2WD just to see how it runs?
Your kidding. Is this a real option ?! :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a fuse for it but who knows which one to put in. I heard of auto DSMs doing this on there cars. It's an auto thing:cool:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: Re: Disable AWD

mourning_air said:
Your kidding. Is this a real option ?! :eek: :confused:
if you got an auto, you can disengage the center diff with that fuse thingy to divert all power to the front wheels...unfortunately you got an open diff up there so it'll be like launching a civic. get a posi and youll be good.

·
Registered
220 Posts
you know with slicks, fwd only will net you better times. awd has the greatest drivetrain loss, and with slicks you shouldnt be spinning the tires (very much).

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is no way on an 02-03-04 WRX Automatic to disable the AWD via just pulling out a "Fuse", thats just in the RS's 98 and 99 i believe.

Rob

·
Registered
431 Posts
There is a spot on the under-hood fuse box to place a fuse to disengage the diff. I think it takes a 15 amp fuse but the only problem is that this only works if have a 2.5 RS. It won't work with the turbo- charged WRX, it says it in the owners manual for non-turbo only. I wanted to check it with a multi meter to make sure there is no current, but from what I can tell the 2-wheel drive fuse space is not even wired up. Also, there should be a light on the dash that lights up when 2-wheel is engaged. So unless you have a RS, you will just have to stick with all-wheel drive;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
03 WRX Wagon - Disable AWD

04silver bullet said:
There is a spot on the under-hood fuse box to place a fuse to disengage the diff. I think it takes a 15 amp fuse but the only problem is that this only works if have a 2.5 RS. It won't work with the turbo- charged WRX, it says it in the owners manual for non-turbo only. I wanted to check it with a multi meter to make sure there is no current, but from what I can tell the 2-wheel drive fuse space is not even wired up. Also, there should be a light on the dash that lights up when 2-wheel is engaged. So unless you have a RS, you will just have to stick with all-wheel drive;)

I've not checked my manual yet, but I did call the dealer and spoke with the service manager re: disable AWD in case of flat tire & use of donut spare. The svc manager acknowledged that in fact the AWD disable procedure works on the WRX (Turbo). She didn't get into the technical details and warned me that very bad things would happen to the car if the AWD remained disabled for an extended period of time. I asked for more specific information such as, 'what type of wear would running in FWD do to the center diff?', etc., she declined to answer on account that she didn't know and obviously feared liability issues. She kept saying, 'well, it's your car'...

To test: I took a 15amp spare fuse and inserted it into the FWD fuse block.

I really didn't have the opportunity to spin the front wheels, but the traction did feel loose. Steering was oddly easier. Acceleration was noticably quicker. The ride was strangely quieter and the vehicle definately felt 'less' stable. Of course, if the disable in fact doesn't work for the Turbo, then these effects were 'placebo' like and I'm just inventing them.

·
Registered
904 Posts
when I purchased my 03 WRX, the salesman bought me a full tank of gas and while we were filling the tank, he popped the hood and told me to use a fuse and insert it to a slot to disable the AWD - i have to do this in a case that if i have to tow my car somewhere, for repairs and what not. he did not mention any long term effects or anything bad. but he said that if they tow the car and the AWD is engaged, it'll will mess it up. so he reminded me over not to forget that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You had an interested enthusiast as a salesman

GotWRX03 said:
when I purchased my 03 WRX, the salesman bought me a full tank of gas and while we were filling the tank, he popped the hood and told me to use a fuse and insert it to a slot to disable the AWD - i have to do this in a case that if i have to tow my car somewhere, for repairs and what not. he did not mention any long term effects or anything bad. but he said that if they tow the car and the AWD is engaged, it'll will mess it up. so he reminded me over not to forget that.
My service manager is not so knowledgeable. Although the Salesforce had no problems telling me that I'd smoke the Lancer Evo. Not so easy.

Also, I know of only two ways to tow the car. 1) Flatbed and 2) towing with all 4 wheels on the ground. There isn't a scenario described where you can disable the AWD and go two-up on a wrecker.

·
Registered
904 Posts
i've had my old cavalier and my 2001 s-10 towed on two wheels. the front wheels being latched on some sort of tow. - my step father has one of these trailers.

riptex said:
My service manager is not so knowledgeable. Although the Salesforce had no problems telling me that I'd smoke the Lancer Evo. Not so easy.

Also, I know of only two ways to tow the car. 1) Flatbed and 2) towing with all 4 wheels on the ground. There isn't a scenario described where you can disable the AWD and go two-up on a wrecker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GotWRX03 said:
i've had my old cavalier and my 2001 s-10 towed on two wheels. the front wheels being latched on some sort of tow. - my step father has one of these trailers.
Was your cavalier or S10 AWD? I'm thinking 4WD if at all, which we know is completey different due to the nature of the differential configuration. If you lift the front of a wrx off the ground and spin one of the rear wheels, the opposite rear wheel will spin backwards. Won't get too far without significant problems with that one. (Just to keep this real, I haven't verified that this is true either.) Any experts out there?

Riptex

·
Registered
904 Posts
nevermind... :rotfl: I re-read the previous statement.. i'm a moron.. :rotfl:

riptex said:
Was your cavalier or S10 AWD? I'm thinking 4WD if at all, which we know is completey different due to the nature of the differential configuration. If you lift the front of a wrx off the ground and spin one of the rear wheels, the opposite rear wheel will spin backwards. Won't get too far without significant problems with that one. (Just to keep this real, I haven't verified that this is true either.) Any experts out there?

Riptex

1 - 20 of 34 Posts