Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had my ITG foam drop in filter on my car for the last 30K miles, and I knew the time was coming soon to replace it or clean it. Well, the last few months I have had decreasing throttle response as well as backfires at different times. I have been smelling a noticeable amount of gas smell out of the exhaust pipe, as well as a few members noticing the same thing at a local Subaru meet. I got my car tuned on the dyno, and we noticed that the car was running very rich throughout the dyno session. I also took a log from the UTEC last week and noticed high 80's low 90's IDC'.

I did start to blame the UTEC for a little while, and wrote a couple of threads about ECU and UTEC conflicts, as well as the Shiv fast learn ECU trick. I couldn't figure out what the problem was.

I bought an intake to see if I could cure my air intake problem, and I found out the car was very responsive. But it did lean out the car a little, so I thought, because I got knock in a few places in the rpm range. And since I just got a dyno tune, I wanted to keep the same set-up that I had with the dyno tune.

Today, I put my stock drop in air filter back into the car, and went for a drive. The car was much more responsive then before. The motor was much smoother throughout the rpm range, and didn't sound like it was struggling like it did before. So I have come to the conclusion that my ITG filter needs to be cleaned and re-oiled. I bought a kit specifically for foam filter made by UNI.

But I have found another problem with the car.:mad: Since my car was tuned with the old dirty filter, the car was running rich since it couldn't pull enough air through it. So it ran fine and gave me no knocks throught the rpm range with the dirty filter. Guess what? Now that I have a clean filter, it is allowing more air into the motor. And Guess What? I get knocks in 4 different places throughout the rpm range.

So please learn from my mistake. Before you bring your car to the dyno to get tuned, make sure your air filter is in good condition. I didn't and now I will have to take the time to play with the map and fix the knock events I have.:(

I will clean and re-oil the filter and update this thread sometime soon. I will also take a few logs to see if my IDC's are lower then they were before with the dirty filter.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Foam Cleaner Kit?

Kurlee, where did you get your foam cleaner kit? I would like to get one for foam filters myself.

I have a Perrin foam panel filter, and couldn't find anything for it when it came time to clean it. I ended up using a K&N cleaning kit, which may not be the best thing if the oils are different...

Thanks,

-jason

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jmussetter said:
Kurlee, where did you get your foam cleaner kit? I would like to get one for foam filters myself.

I did a search on Unifilter Cleaner kits for foam filters and the one from ComptechUSA was the cheapest for $11.00:

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/620004.html

BoostedBoxer said:
OT- Karl, where did you get that filter? And where were you on thurs?
I got my ITG filter with my WRXfx intake kit when I first bought the car. You can probably get the filter from MPJ, Gruppe-S or Vivid.

I also had something come up on Thursday so I couldn't make it. I will be there this Thursday though, guaranteed.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
KurleeDaddeeWRX said:
I did a search on Unifilter Cleaner kits for foam filters and the one from ComptechUSA was the cheapest for $11.00:

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/620004.html

I got my ITG filter with my WRXfx intake kit when I first bought the car. You can probably get the filter from MPJ, Gruppe-S or Vivid.

I also had something come up on Thursday so I couldn't make it. I will be there this Thursday though, guaranteed.
sweet thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks dude!

-jason

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got the UNI filter cleaner and oil kit, and cleanded my filthy ITG filter. It works just like the K&N cleaner kit. You spray the cleaner onto the filter on both sides and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. It eats up all of the oil and dirt away. Then you spray water through it to get all of the crap out of it. Then when you are confident that it is completely clean you let it dry.

I let mine dry for 1 day and made sure it wasn't even wet to the touch. Then I sprayed only the bottom portion of the filter. I made a nice coat on it, let the oil sit for 5 minutes, and then massaged the oil into the filter. I did, however, make sure NOT to oil the top of the filter, closest to the MAF sensor. If you oil this area, there is a possible chance for oil to get pulled off of the top of the filter and into the MAF sensor.

So I took the car for a spin today, actually taking my girlfriends Iguanna, Squiggy, to meet her so it could get a shot. So as soon as I turned on the ignition, I could tell the idle was nice and full, not too low. When I took off, I could tell the engine was getting more air from very low rpms. I also tried punching it at different rpm levels, and the throttle response was back and better than ever. So I got onto the freeway, almost redlining 2nd gear, and Squiggy crapped all over the cage I had him in. I guess I scared the crap out of him, huh?:D

So if you own a foam type filter that uses oil on it, like the ITG, you can use the UNI filter cleaner kit. It worked perfectly for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts