Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., so I've read the manual and I know it's not an off road vehicle; but I'm heading to Vermont next weekend and I'm looking to play a little pro rally driver on the dirt roads there. I'm totally hooked on this kind of driving. Any driving tips, mod suggestion, rude or sarcastic comments welcome. :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Jazz,

Do you have a manual transmission?

Down shift before the corner.

Don't carry too much speed into a corner. Look for wide sweeping curves and power out of then.

Remember dirt is consistently slippery, gravel is not. The depth and size of the gravel can throw you a loop.

Don't get crazy. You are not Colin McRae!

-Jim

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, got the manual. In wagon flavor.
thanks, Jazz.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Of course, if you do get nuts and try true rally 4 wheel drifts...nudge the steering the opposite way of the intended corner to unweight the eventual outside wheels, then whip back the steering to enter the corner(remember though, it doesn't take a lot of turning back). While turning in, hit the accelerator and keep the steering pretty calm(on drifts your steering can even be straight or turned fairly lightly to where you eventually want to go). Use your accelerator to modulate how much you should slide and turn, back off slightly to hook up before getting back on gas. On tight switchbacks(which you probably will never find in VT, depending on where you are going of course-Burlington isn't rally county hehe) you'd probably need the handbrake. After most of the braking before entering corner is done, as your turn in, use the handbrake lightly to get the rears loose. You want the rears to slide more than the fronts for the narrow corner. Again, modulate drift(turn) with accel. McRae can do switchbacks with barely moving his steering wheel!!!

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
TIP:

See if you can get an instructor to ride with you first. Sometimes driving classes can cost $100-$300 but trust me, it's well worth it. Also if you can I suggest that you watch some WRC or Best Motoring to see exactly how they control the car, especially when it comes to countersteering. Take it easy on your fisrt few runs and don't get all crazy becuase racing against time involves control and stability, sometimes the slower you feel the faster you're going. Oh yah one last thing, play some GT3 on playstation and you can KIND of see how rally cars behave.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are up on logging roads watch out for mountain bikers and horseback riders. Remember, for the real rallys they clear the entire route before they let one WRC car on it. You don't have that luxury. Be careful, have fun.

·
Registered
554 Posts
In real rallies they don't clear the roads. Each car has a helicopter doing spotting for them. I would imagine they announce a rally is going through but they do not clear roads for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll report the dents and scratches when I return next week.

G

·
Remember with AWD that if you feel like you're going too fast for a corner to keep power to the wheels. If you're turning the car and you off throttle, you'll oversteer and the back end will whip around. Keep power to the wheels and you'll be fine.

Take it fairly slow at first and get a feel for how the loose stuff feels, especially if you've never driven on dirt/gravel before. It takes practice...but it sure is fun :)

Offroad? No
Primitive Road? YES!!!

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Star*Child ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts