ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are my options? I do eventually plan to do this and have looked at some available options. I just want some input from members who have upgraded.

·
Æternum
20,614 Posts
What year/model car do you drive? If it's a 2004-current STi, there are quite a few options. If it's a 2002-2007 WRX, there are options, but you'll need some supporting mods. If it's a 2009-2012 WRX with the VF52, there are a few options, but not as many as other models. The VF52 is capable of fairly high power levels as-is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I thought I had my signature set correctly.

2011 WRX
COBB crank pulley (current Mod)
Future mods still undecided.

·
Æternum
20,614 Posts
If you haven't done a bigger TMIC, tune, 3" exhaust, intake, uppipe with EWG, then you still have a lot of overhead on that VF52 -- it's a very capable turbo. Since you're stock, you're roughly at 225whp on a Mustang dyno. With a good tune, the setup listed above should be capable of 315+ whp on the same dyno. I don't know why you'd even want to think about a larger turbo as of yet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coming from a diesel background, bigger=better. So now I get to learn all over again. From what your saying (315) is a great number and about what I had in mind.

Are there any issues with the charge air temps from a stock turbo pushed beyond a stock set up?

·
Æternum
20,614 Posts
Are there any issues with the charge air temps from a stock turbo pushed beyond a stock set up?
Absolutely. Clearly, lower charge temps = less detonation, less timing, and a more aggressive (and safer) tune can be applied. In case you're not familiar with the terminology, TMIC = Top Mount Intercooler. Quite a bit different from Diesels, since you hardly have to worry about detonation with a diesel setup...

Meth injection is an avenue that often gets overlooked, but is a familiar concept especially to us 2.0L guys. With Meth injection you can achieve significantly lower intake charge temperatures even on the stock intercooler. Though, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to upgrade your intercooler. In the end, if you're looking towards big numbers and a larger turbo (which you'll need to start putting money away for a fuel system upgrade, set $$ aside for an engine rebuild and possibly a transmission rebuild) you'll absolutely need to consider a more aggressive FMIC + Methanol injection approach.

In all honesty, though, these cars weren't built for huge power.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely. Clearly, lower charge temps = less detonation, less timing, and a more aggressive (and safer) tune can be applied. In case you're not familiar with the terminology, TMIC = Top Mount Intercooler. Quite a bit different from Diesels, since you hardly have to worry about detonation with a diesel setup...

Meth injection is an avenue that often gets overlooked, but is a familiar concept especially to us 2.0L guys. With Meth injection you can achieve significantly lower intake charge temperatures even on the stock intercooler. Though, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to upgrade your intercooler. In the end, if you're looking towards big numbers and a larger turbo (which you'll need to start putting money away for a fuel system upgrade, set $$ aside for an engine rebuild and possibly a transmission rebuild) you'll absolutely need to consider a more aggressive FMIC + Methanol injection approach.

Great information! Being honest I really do not know much about this type of car and I am not looking for an all out road rocket. Just something above stock, and not knowing what is reliable and worthwhile I am researching.

From what I have and and been told, the up pipe and ewg are a good place to start. This I assume would require a tune and not an ots map?

·
Banned
664 Posts
Absolutely. Clearly, lower charge temps = less detonation, MORE timing, and a more aggressive (and safer) tune can be applied. In case you're not familiar with the terminology, TMIC = Top Mount Intercooler. Quite a bit different from Diesels, since you hardly have to worry about detonation with a diesel setup...

fixed one thing. less timing is a bad thing.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
markthomas1969 said:
From what I have and and been told, the up pipe and ewg are a good place to start. This I assume would require a tune and not an ots map?
I don't know of any OTS maps that account for an EWG. When you purchase an EWG, you also should buy a BCS, MBC, or both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts