Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to my parents house today and noticed the check oil light was dimly lit. Its probably about 15% as bright as it is when you just turn on the car, to the notch right before starting the car when all the dash lights, light up and its bright red there, then when you start it, it dims. I checked my oil and it was a bit low, at about the bottom little circle on the dip stick, so I put in about 1/3 of a quart to fill it back up. I drove around for a min after that and it was still dim. Anyone know what this might be, does Subaru dim the light for any particular reason? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update: Just got home from my parents place. The light I think is either completely off, or 1-2% of total brightness when I look really really close. Could just be my eyes playing tricks or something, but when I sit the proper distance away I can't see any light anymore. But still wondering if Subaru designed their system so it gets bright as the need for more oil increases or something like that, just wondering why it would be dim instead of full brightness.

Another update: After searching Nasioc I found this post.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469423&highlight=check+oil+light

Could be what I am experiencing, after my minor colant leak after my accident I washed out the engine bay with a hose. Judging from what people said on nasioc the sensor is below the alternator, and thats also where some coolant was so I washed that out pretty good. The weird thing is I first noticed it about a week after washing it out, maybe I had never noticed it before until tonight when it was dark, even though I have driven in the dark this past week. I will keep my eye on it though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, my oil was a little low so I filled it up. I will check the level again tomorrow morning and see where its at again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts