ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which Camera?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and making plans on acquiring a DSLR. At the moment I'm trying to decide between the D5100 and D7000, so I will appreciate any feedback you guys can give on these cameras and if any experience with the same.

I know there is a big price difference but I do not want to buy just because of price and then feel that I should had bought the other camera. Also I have never had a DSLR before, but I love to take pictures and even planning on taking some Photography classes.

Thanks for you input....:thumbup:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yep. The D90 is the third gen D70. The D7000 is the forth gen. Nice price point for the D90 since it is old tech now. Camera shops are liquidating their inventory. Buy glass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance. But what is the screw driver? Is it the AF with the manual focus on the lens and the AF-S not?

Pardon my ignorance as I'm starting to learn about the D-LSRs.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,336 Posts
Nikon have provided two general types of bodies, and two corresponding types of lenses, though both are AF: Those with an AF motor in the body, and those without; this means that to get AF in a body without an AF motor, one has to buy a lens with an AF motor. AF-S lenses have an AF motor and so can work on any body, even those bodies lacking an AF motor such as the D-40 etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just bought a Nikon D3000 from a friend for CHEAP. It came w/ the AF-S 18-55. Can you guys recommend what's the best setting for car pics? Some of you have some crazy skillz taking photos and have inspired me to learn more about photography. Any other advice would also be appreciated. :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,336 Posts
That's a nice camera and the lens is in my view under-appreciated, it's excellent value for the money.

Try checking out EXIF data from photographs you like, it will give you ISO and f info for example.

Congrats.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Check this out, a shot I took. You can see a lot has to do with post processing. Original shot was okay, but it was dull, a little over exposed and lacked that wow factor. Which MOST shots due until they are ran through processing.

Subaru WRX Limited | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Heres a shot where I went step by step on what I did. This is due to most of my images. Basic editing for me.

Editing Process Sasquatch Self Portrait | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And most importantly. Practice, practice and a lot more practice.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Check this out, a shot I took. You can see a lot has to do with post processing. Original shot was okay, but it was dull, a little over exposed and lacked that wow factor. Which MOST shots due until they are ran through processing.

Subaru WRX Limited | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Heres a shot where I went step by step on what I did. This is due to most of my images. Basic editing for me.

Editing Process Sasquatch Self Portrait | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And most importantly. Practice, practice and a lot more practice.
Very cool! Thanks for sharing the little tutorial :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the odd-ball of the dslr family. I have a sigma. sigma is known for their lenses but they also make a really cool body as well. It uses proprietary image processing which makes it rough for RAW file types. You pretty much have to use their software to process RAWs. It was very affordable and it is has some really great features that typically only come in the higher end cameras such as magnesium frame as opposed to plastic/composite, etc. It takes a little more time to become familiar with it as it isn't quite as intuitive as the more common brands. Also, even though they are one of the largest manufacturers of lenses finding lenses for their own body is difficult.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nikon shooter here. I currently own a D4, D800 and a D7000. Previous models I've owned are D3S, D3X, D300S, and D200. I mainly use my D800 for video, D4 for photos and D7000 when I need a light set up on the trail. I shoot mainly motorcycle images.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you already haven't you need to check out this guy. His work is hands down the best. IMO.

Flickr: VisualEchos' Photostream
WOW! His work is truly spectacular and definitely inspiring. I love his post processing style. It definitely pops but doesn't look fake! I wish I could create images like this! lol.. I will be sure to post some of my work in the future.
I am new to this forum and I dabble in photography (Its a hobby I take serious, but money prevents me from buying new toys lol) I have a canon 60D with the 18-135mm IS kit lens, canon 50mm 1.8 which I love to use, but will eventually opt for a 1.4 later on, and I also recently purchased a 430exII flash. Looking into a wide angle at the moment, but there are so many options and basing on reviews is so hard because some users are so adamant about only using Canon or Nikon glass on their respective bodies.. I cant afford L glass and to play with my car! lol. Pardon my minor deviation of the topic; I tend to ramble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run with a Nikon D5 and D3S with a couple of Sigma lenses. Both are magical cameras.
The lenses are great too, especially compared with the price of the Nikkor equivalents.
Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm using a Sony RX10m4. Mirrorless, and you don't have to change lenses because it has a 24-600 zoom! I won't go back to DSLR. Post processing is easy to start, but can get wildly complicated as dive deeper down that rabbit hole. I use an inexpensive tool called Graphic Converter which has many controls like P$. I also use Luminar for more extensive techniques, but prefer to shoot and edit minimally.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts