ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay .. so this is my 1st winter with a awd car. I sold my 350 z Track Pac for the Sti and I don't regret the choice.. ( didn't have a choice either) had a baby lol.. anyways so everyone talks about going drifting and sliding around in parking lots and so many videos are being made. I don't get it? I did it a few times and I am really confused as to what is the difference between doing this in my STi with Blizzaks and doing the exact same thing in my 350z with Michles ices?? Infact it was more fun with my Z.. I dunno maybe I am missing the whole point in this snow drifting, but to me I feel like it was the exact same thing as doing it with my Rwd 350z...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
yeah, with rwd its easier to get sideways, true. but with awd you have boatloads more control, you may not have really noticed it yet. put the DCCD into manual and lock it forward. you can take off much faster than anything rwd. instead of the front wheels just guiding the car, they can actually pull it along.. you can't beat 4wd in slippery stuff.. if your old ice tires were studded, that may be whats blurring the difference. studded rule, but they tear up the roads as you probably know. blizzaks won't, but the difference is they won't bite in the snow quite as well.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
From what I can tell from limited experience in other cars (i only ever drive my WRX in the snow) it's a lot more fun to drive a WRX or STi because you can do EXACTLY what you want.

When i'm behind the wheel....sure i"m skidding, but I feel like I can control it completely and I'm never just sliding free. plus, you don't have to worry about getting stuck in an AWD car, whereas I've gotten stuck in the snow in my mom's volvo before just driving around.

Plus, it makes you feel like Peter Sollberg :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
For me at least it takes me about a week to get used to it again each winter and getting the full control. sure you can get going sideways with rwd easier, but with awd you usually only go sideways when you want to and you can keep in almost total control while doing it.

I had to bite my tongue when i got pulled over in a parking lot after our first snow storm and i was reaquienting myself, and the cop told me once you "lose" control you can't regain it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Drifting a awd drive car to me is more fun yet we get no snow in tucson,az so I cant tell anything about snow. But it does take alot of pratice learning to shift the wieght of the car but once your learn about that controlling the car is so much easier than a rwd car. Oh one thing that help me alot while drifitng is useing the good old heel toe downshift and learning how to use the accelirator at the right time. I should post some video sometime. Maybe when I go to my next auto X I will record some drift action and some foot work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Also get a rear sway bar and set it tight thats what I usually do easier to get the rear out but way harder to controll though. Just mess around and find a safe place to pratice and get some suspension mods.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Actually, you're 100% right. Throwing it around in a snowy empty parking lot IS a lot more fun in a RWD car. You're not really looking for control in that situation. All the videos and such? People who don't know how to drive can feel like they're really doing something. The only thing you can do with AWD that you can't do with RWD is to spin the car around rapidly almost within its own wheelbase.

Now take it out of the parking lot and onto a snow-packed winding mountain road and the equation changes significantly. All of a sudden the 350Z is a lot less fun. I dunno, maybe it's fun if you crawl then get sideways in the corners but it's a lot more fun to go hell-bent-for-leather in a WRX and pass every other car over the pass to claim the good spot right next to the lift.

C

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was in the same position as the poster coming from rwd. This recent east coast snowstorm being my first with the W, I was a little disappointed the first couple hours out there. It felt too good like it didnt want to slide ever, but after a while I was able to manipulate it better. However I am still not as good as I was with rwd. But doing those awd donuts in almost the same space is an unforgettable feeling.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
maximum said:
I was in the same position as the poster coming from rwd. This recent east coast snowstorm being my first with the W, I was a little disappointed the first couple hours out there. It felt too good like it didnt want to slide ever, but after a while I was able to manipulate it better. However I am still not as good as I was with rwd. But doing those awd donuts in almost the same space is an unforgettable feeling.
yeah, my awd ruled this last storm. Where on the island do you live?

·
Registered
101 Posts
i had fun in the snow in a rwd car... it was my first winter and dam it was fun/hard... it was soo hard in the beginning yet by the end i learned ti how to properly control the car... when i was at the parking lot... i saw a legacy and wrx weagon drifting... the only difference i can tell from watching is the 4WDs don't spin out like i od in my RWD.... and u can have alot of control over what u want to do... just like FWD cars.... but RWD is hard yet fun to do... and u can REALLLLY go sideways.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts