ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at the alignment shop the other day (a very good highly recommended shop), Darin the tech/owner said this
"When I score the back tires on these cars it is usually very hard to turn the rear wheels, yours was much easier than others."

It's not like bicycle freewheel but certainly much easier to turn than the others that he's tuned suspension on, and he does a WRX almost every day. This is with the car suspended, nuetral. no brakes.

Is there something wrong with my differentials? How does one diagnose diff problems?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Maybe he left the handbrake on when he tried the other cars ;)

I'm not sure just HOW you could diagnose, but as loong as you don't hear any noise you should be fine..
As far as I can remember it's not that hard to turn the wheels on a wrx, maybe he confused the wrx with the other diff on the STI ?

I'll check my diff when I come home and see how hard it is:cool:

Edit:

Well I'm home and with the rear lifted with a jack I can turn the rear wheels "easy". It is hard, but you will have no problem turning the wheels with two hands.

Note that the other wheel are spinning in the oposite direction..

With all 4 wheels in the air it might be easier to turn the wheels !?

If you feel almost no resistance at all things might be wrong, but I don't know much about this..

you should also change the oil and see if it's much "dirt" inside..

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I don't hear wierd noises. Ihadn't planned on changing the diff or tranny oil yet since I'm at 15000 miles, but it's probably worth the peace of mind.

How bad is uneven tire wear? My left tires are "cupped" meaning the inside shoulder is more worn than the rest of them. I've rotated front to back but since they are directional tires I haven't had them re-mounted and rotated.
At what point does something like that cause diff damage?

I think that since the alignment I mentioned above, the uneven wear probelm has been fixed, I have a set of stock tires on now to test.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You should not run with uneven tire wear on our cars, but I don't know HOW bad it actually is.

The problem I guess is heat. If the tire wear is so bad that the tires run with diffrent speed the diff oil gets really heated up and looses it's lubericat abillities. This will damage the diff.

But if this is the case on your car I don't know..

There may even not be a problem with your diff as far as I know..

Have you tried to turn the wheels while the rear wheels are in the air? how does it feel?

As with the tire wear you have it might be a result of poor aligment or the fact that you are only drifting to one side... Lol..

·
Registered
826 Posts
As long as you are not almost bald on one set of tires and new on the other, I don't believe there are going to be diff problems. Remember that your tire diameter will change shape based on temperature, weight and sidewall stiffness. If subaru tuned it exactly for one tire we would be getting reports of bad diffs all over the place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts