ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has had the feeling of pushing the front wheels n a knocking noise from the wheels when going into parking spaces or reversing onto my drive n developed into a whine/rumble when doin 70+mph.Subaru dealer reckoned it was the centre diff and told me it simply bolts on the back of the gearbox,remove this n replace with new diff.Is this true and anybody have any diff ideas on what the prob is,im trying to get to gearbox at mo but struggling with a exhaust nut on the turbo due to a heat sheild i cant remove.any help appreciated guys.oh n also i pulled up last week and there appeared to be a major oil leak from the rear of the gearbox area,as far as i can see on the car its either the seal on the prop shaft or the gasket around what seems to be an end plate on the gearbox/diff.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Hi there. Please don't cross post the same question in three different forums. Superfluous posts deleted.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive now found the leak and the end plate on the very back of the gearbox/diff is cracked under the prop entry point which im presuming is linked to the diff problem ive had.any help much appreciated guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think i've got the same problem- 'differential binding' is what i understand it to be. Basically the centre diff is on its way out...
Got a '99 STI 5- similar noises and resistance to rolling at parking speeds- especially when the wheels are turned. Occasionally hear the rear wheels 'scrabbling' for traction as they are not turning at the same speed as the front wheels. I don't have any oil leaks though. The symptoms only come after a long drive, where the drivetrain heats up...

Agents here think its the centre diff, which sits at the rear of the gearbox. Its a viscous coupling unit, so its sealed and cannot be opened. Whole unit needs to be replaced, and i estimate the cost to be around $1400. He says its ok to drive for the time being, but i anticipate that once the unit siezes altogether, the car will be immovable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was the centre diff,i stripped it down and it had destroyed itself.found it really simlple to change thou and i'd tackle it yourself if i was you,the diff just slots in and out of the casing,remoce the cross members under the car n the prop and basically its there.i picked one up from a subaru tuner for £250 spent a further £50 on gearbox oil and it was back together in 3hours and feels great now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts