Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Long post, I've searched and understand that the general rule is replace all 4, don't patch or plug anything in the shoulder or run two different brand tires but my problem is a mix.
Came out to my car and a nail had flattened my tire overnight(passenger rear).

Tires on the car are 235/45R17 on OEM 2014 WRX wheels. They are Bridgestone Potenza re97 A/S. With work and timing issues of when I discovered this, I used spare tires in my garage without measuring but eyeballed the tread. I figured the lesser evil would be swapping both rears instead of just one. The 'new' tires are Bridgestone Potenza re97 A/S Pole position. Would this do minimal damage to the transfer case/diff for light driving to and from work for a few days? The tread patterns are definitely different.
My roommates think that since it didn't penetrate the whole tire that patching the inner shoulder should be o'k' but all guidelines online say no.

Any thoughts? Due to work deadlines, I can't just buy a new set today but could maybe work remote later this week to take care of them. i drove to work this AM and did not notice any weird transmission noises or driving issues.

Found some sumitomos for $89 each. Not going to buy pricier tires as i do plan to upgrade my wheels to 18s later.

Long read and thanks for any help!
Black Darkness White Sky Light Black Darkness White Sky Light

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Driving with a different size tire for a few days is OK. Plugging a tire on the shoulder area is more risky. If you are not in the circumferential belts that is when you have problems. Plugs are never ideal but IF it is in the belted tread area it will work for a while and pose no more a problem on a subaru than any other car.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If it came down to it I would plug vs running mismatched.

My advise would be to plug the tire for now, then you can measure the tread and have tirerack shave some rubber off a matching tire to match the treadwear on your plugged one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I discovered that Costco warranties all tires for 5 years! I brought the tire in and they fixed it for free and put my tires back on. I only had the different set on for maybe 30 miles. To and from work and to Costco.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts