ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching info on all exhausts and some have different settings.(My car is stock,the exhaust will be my first mod)
Some like MRT, Does have the High Flow Cat on the downpipe near the turbo,,some like Turbo XS,Scooby Sports have the cat near the rear (on the same place of the cars original rear cat)..
I want to gain the more HP that i can with the exhaust upgrade.
And i dont know where to go when looking for up-pipes and turbo back exhausts.
I was thinking of going SS down and uppipes and going with a STI Rear muffler(cat back).
Or going a Full MRT EXhaust.(up and downpipes, mid pipe,and rear muffler)
Or going Full turbo XS Exhaust.(up and downpipes, mid pipe,and rear muffler)
I was even considering going Vishnu,,but i dont know if they are very good.
Anyone can clear up my mind so i can make the best HP ,with the exhaust mod.
Any past experiences??
Thanks from brazil
Tuca

·
Registered
387 Posts
All the different brands don't really make much difference except for a few things.

Downpipe mouth - You want bellmouth. The alternative is a flat plate like stock; not what you want. All of those you mentioned have a good downpipe bellmouth or dual pipes on the plate. Stay away from Stromung and HKS downpipes.

Cats - You make a significant increase in power by going with no cats.

Cannister - Some are louder, some are quieter. Your choice there.

Piping - Go with stainless steel. Most japanese catbacks have s.s. cannisters but aluminized piping.

I personally would get a catback from vendor A of with the sound and look you want and a downpipe from vendor B with the price you want. Godspeed has DP's for $200.

I also happen to have an M2 turboback that is 3" all stainless and catless for sale on i-club "private for sale". It's a rather quiet system, though.

Uppipes are a different subject. Many ppl disagree on the best aspects.

Piping - Some are 2", some are 2.25 and some are 2.5. Smaller equals better spool and bigger equals better flow for more powerful cars. Almost all are stainless steel. Cast iron isn't necessary.

Flex - Some vendors sell flex pipes. I personally think it doesn't make any difference.

Brand - Some people say certain brands leak and some don't leak. It depends on the installer unless the manuf. isn't making the pipes right; of which I know no instances where that is the case.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The uppipe question, i am very concerned.
I think the best are vishnu,MRT and PDE.
but i think the vishnu is the best.
MRT also appears to be good.
Another thing from turbo backs.
i want to have 1 cat in my system,,MRT product have the cat on the downpipe,and some brands have the cat more on the rear part.
This makes any difference??
Thanks
Tuca

·
Registered
504 Posts
i have the mrt turbo back, and the reason they put the cat closer to the turbo is to "reduce cold start emissions"...My guess is that performance wise it probably doesn't make much difference where it is.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
tuca33 said:
The uppipe question, i am very concerned.
I think the best are vishnu,MRT and PDE.
but i think the vishnu is the best.
MRT also appears to be good.
Another thing from turbo backs.
i want to have 1 cat in my system,,MRT product have the cat on the downpipe,and some brands have the cat more on the rear part.
This makes any difference??
Thanks
Tuca
when it's time for me to put in an uppipe, i'll be going JDM. looks OE, has fles portion like OE, seems like a no brainer.

dR

·
Registered
504 Posts
i agree with dr the JDM seems like the way to go. almost no leak problems reported, flex joint, looks close to stock. what more could want

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where can i buy the JDM uppipe??
The JDM is the STI one??
is it good for HP gain???
any CEL problems???
will it work with any turbo back system??
Thanks
tuca

1 - 9 of 9 Posts