ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am still new to the whole turbo scene, and was wondering what the difference was in all of the turbos that are being mentioned on the boards. Correct me if I am wrong, but the stock WRX has a TD04, and the STi has a VF39, right? So what is a VF22, VF34, and an 18g? The 18g sounds like something that would come off of a Mitsubishi, but I dont know about the other ones.
Also, my buddy has a 20g that he has on his MR2 that he is looking to sell, so would that fit on the WRX? Not that I want it, but I was just wondering if there would be a big fitment problem with it.

Thanks for all the help with the Turbo Newbie!!:D

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16541
is a good thread for you.

Correct, wrx has td04 sti has vf39. As for your questions about the other VF series turbo's check out the link above.

the 20g from the MR2 will not be a simple bolt on turbo for you.

EDIT: if you want to see what some of these can do, wait for nasioc to come back up and pay the proven power forums a visit.

WRXtasy2626 said:
So, I am still new to the whole turbo scene, and was wondering what the difference was in all of the turbos that are being mentioned on the boards. Correct me if I am wrong, but the stock WRX has a TD04, and the STi has a VF39, right? So what is a VF22, VF34, and an 18g? The 18g sounds like something that would come off of a Mitsubishi, but I dont know about the other ones.
Also, my buddy has a 20g that he has on his MR2 that he is looking to sell, so would that fit on the WRX? Not that I want it, but I was just wondering if there would be a big fitment problem with it.

Thanks for all the help with the Turbo Newbie!!:D

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
IHI makes VF-series turbos. IHI has a business relationship with Fuji Heavy, so thats why Subarus use IHI turbos.

The VF23 came on the 22B.
The VF28 came on the Version 5 STi.
Uhhh...thats all I got for now. There are more on different STi versions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whats a 22B? I am new to the Subaru motors, so I have no clue what engine that is!! Also, what is the version 5 STi and what does IHI stand for??

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
WRXtasy2626 said:
Whats a 22B? I am new to the Subaru motors, so I have no clue what engine that is!! Also, what is the version 5 STi and what does IHI stand for??
The 22B is a very rare special edition STi that was not released North America. It was a GC8 STi, so it was the older pre '02 style. It has "276hp" (read 320+hp) and very tight gear ratios. If you search for it on here or on google there are articles about it. For a lot of people, it is the best STi ever made.

The version 5 STi was one of the years, although I cannot remember which one. People like to give versions to cars so other people "in the know" can readily understand which exact model they are talking about (like calling the current EVO the EVO VIII).

IHI stands for Ishikawajima Harima Heavy Industries. It's a company.

Also, I believe the very first few 22Bs did have VF22s, but the later ones had VF23s. I could be wrong, though. The STis before the twinscroll turboed ones had VF34s.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, thanks for all of the info!!
I just would like to be better informed about the turbo's and stuff, and if I come across some money, I would maybe think about throwing one of those turbo's on my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts