ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and I did a search, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I am in the market for a new vehicle, and I am very interested in the Impreza line.

I do know this:

RS has a 165 hp 2.5 L engine
WRX has a 227 hp 2.0 L turbocharged engine
STi has a 300 hp 2.5 L turbocharged engine

My question:

Is the engine in the STi the same engine that's in the RS? Could the only difference be that the engine in the STi is turbocharged?

I plan to modify my next vehicle, so I was just wondering. It would be great if you WRX fanatics could help me out. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Is the engine in the STi the same engine that's in the RS? Could the only difference be that the engine in the STi is turbocharged?
No, the rs block is different from the sti's although Im not sure which one is open deck/semi closed etc. The compression is different between the two. The sti comes with forged rods and crank(cast pistons for some reason?..). The heads are way different, sti has variable valve timing as well as the cam profiles are much different. It has coil packs rather than a distributor and probably a bunch of other things I didnt know. Its not just a boosted rs motor.

BTW: I could be wrong about some of the stuff. But the answer is still no. Theyre not the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boosted4, thanks for the info. That was very helpful.

MJU1983, if you had read my post, I said that I had done a search. Thanks for being a... well... nevermind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The titles of the threads were not specific to my question. Is it that difficult to help someone out? You're probably on the message board for hours at a time anyway.

I do have to give you props on your engine tear down though... those are some great pictures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts