Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference between the my02 STi and the my02 WRX? I have looked everywhere and I can't find an actual list of differences.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Master Of Pain said:
The WRX is for losers and cheap-asses, the STi is for the rich and the cool people. If you bought a RS, you are a total bum.
Ouch! Harshness! Wait, I have an STi, so it's okay... lol

Dude... If you can't find the differences, you shouldn't be on the net. I am in a bad mood tonight, but what the hell. I'll help out.

STi
300HP 2.5L With larger turbo
No stereo or sunroof as a factory option
Race type seats standard
Adjustable Diff standard
Intercooler Mister standard
Brembo brakes standard
More aggressive suspension
Large hood scoop standard
Large rear wing standard
STi Short shifter and shifter trim standard
Red lit guage cluster
Cool A$$ key
Cool looking dual tone Black/Blue interior
17" very nice BBS wheels standard
More aggressive rubber standard
No Foglights
More balls
Pinging between 4500 and 5000 rpm standard
STi fog light covers, front end, rear???, side skirts

Dude... I'm tired now, someone take over and do the WRX comparison too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sure...

The standard WRX is everything the STI is except for everything STFUTuning has listed.

The STI looks mad, pumped up and ready to eat the next car that comes by, while the WRX just looks annoyed and ready to take someone's lunch money.

The STI would spank about 90% of all the cars out there while the standard WRX would take about 80%.

Put in the difference in price (about $7,000) on the WRX with the right parts and it will run with the best of them. The sum of the STI's parts is absolutely worth more than the $7,000 price hike.

If you can afford the STI, get it. If you're ghetto like me, the WRX fills the bill.:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
KayDeeRX said:
Sure...

The standard WRX is everything the STI is except for everything STFUTuning has listed.

The STI looks mad, pumped up and ready to eat the next car that comes by, while the WRX just looks annoyed and ready to take someone's lunch money.

The STI would spank about 90% of all the cars out there while the standard WRX would take about 80%.

Put in the difference in price (about $7,000) on the WRX with the right parts and it will run with the best of them. The sum of the STI's parts is absolutely worth more than the $7,000 price hike.

If you can afford the STI, get it. If you're ghetto like me, the WRX fills the bill.:D
LOL... Behave yourself Ding! Nice descriptions. And we are all ghetto here! Ghetto fabulous!

Call me if you are up

·
Registered
17 Posts
more stuff...
sti comes with HID headlights...6spd stronger transmission?
ummm what else.....
how bout those STi badges...o yeah pink rules! hahahaha
turbo running 1psi more boost i think...
hmmmm anything else...???
does regular wrx come with momo steering wheel?
how bout red stitches on the ebrake and shift knob?
the steering ratio is quicker on the sti...
that's all i got

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually, you guys are wrong....he said 02WRX STi vs 02 WRX(ie not the 2.5L, 300hp). Now the thing is, DCCD was not available in all markets and given that he probably got the 02 WRX STi early on, he doesn't have the PPP option. In any case, there is quite a bit different including a completely different gearbox(a standard WRX actually has the box split longitudinally while your 6speed box is cut horizontally in halves......it's a structural issue while under load). You have semi closed decks on the STi, large TMIC, different turbo, higher flow injectors, smaller front swaybar, and basically a whole slew of different components as others have mentioned(including the 2.6lock to lock steering rack vs 3.0)

·
Registered
32 Posts
See that's what happens when you troll the boards late at night.

schischwein is right, were referring to the wrong STI version.

Nice catch. At least somebody was paying attention.

·
Registered
15 Posts
KayDeeRX said:

Correction, the STi will spank about 97% of the cars out there. What other mass production cars will beat it (0-60)?

Z06 Vette ($50K+)
Viper ($70K?)
Some M Series BMWs ($50K+)
Mercedes AMGs ($90K)
A8 Audi?

Help me out here, what others?

The list is very short, no doubt.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
STiBoy said:
Correction, the STi will spank about 97% of the cars out there. What other mass production cars will beat it (0-60)?

Z06 Vette ($50K+)
Viper ($70K?)
Some M Series BMWs ($50K+)
Mercedes AMGs ($90K)
A8 Audi?

Help me out here, what others?

The list is very short, no doubt.
That may be so in regards to 0-60, but then again......what's the relevance? Nought to 60 is about the most useless figure about car performance. In terms of accelerative power, 1/4mile, mid gear acceleration times and the like are so much more important to give a sense of the flexability of the power and how much is available. Zero to 60 is really all about having the right ratios(and AWD launch is a plus as well I suppose). The first gear on these cars are useless when it comes to hairpin switchbacks and the ratio difference to 2nd is large.

PS-95% of all statistics are bullsh!t :D ;) :cool: ........figure it out yet?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I assume the 02 STi would vary depending on what country you are in, that may be where the 'MY02' comes in. I don't know which countries get that, but I'm pretty sure that's not JDM.

As far as vehicle differences, the biggest difference omitted in these lists is structural bracing. The STi is braced to the maxx and has alot of other parts that have been lightened. Roll-bar installed, large trellis bracing behind back seat (won't fold down...) Also the clutch is very different. The turbo and piping is different and it holds the 14.5 psi up to redline instead dropping to 7...flared fenders, great-looking body-kit, mechanical differentials instead of slush-boxes in front and back.

Basically everything except the badges is different (anyone know about air conditioner differences?)

Let this be said, however: The stock WRX is a pretty darn neato car, my plan was to buy one and make it Stage II-III when Subaru decided to do that for me and warranty it. Yes, the differences worth far more than the extra $6k (my STi was 31k, WRX is 25k?) Options make the difference here. Anyway there is no reason to insult people who bought a WRX or RS. Both are good cars and believe me, they sell far more of these than STi's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
schischwein said:
The first gear on these cars are useless when it comes to hairpin switchbacks and the ratio difference to 2nd is large.

I have found that in my STi that first through fourth are really pretty close, almost a bit too close unless you shift well before redline. The only large ratio-jumps are between fourth and fifth and then a moderate one to sixth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
schischwein said:
That may be so in regards to 0-60, but then again......what's the relevance? Nought to 60 is about the most useless figure about car performance. In terms of accelerative power, 1/4mile, mid gear acceleration times and the like are so much more important to give a sense of the flexability of the power and how much is available. Zero to 60 is really all about having the right ratios(and AWD launch is a plus as well I suppose). The first gear on these cars are useless when it comes to hairpin switchbacks and the ratio difference to 2nd is large.

You're on the pipe, aren't ya? What kind of statement is "0-60 is the most useless"? It says loads about the cars performance, is very usefull at determining, let's see...how fast it'll get to 60 from a dead stop. That couldn't be more useful information. Of course there are other factors...a quick car from 0-60 doesn't mean it's a hot 1/4 mile car, and visa versa. That's why those stats are included in specs on a car's performance. The 0-60 time is by far the first performance stat the people look at...obviously it's the MOST useful spec point.

BTW, I read somewhere that the STi will do 30-50 in 1.67 seconds (3rd gear)? If that's true, that's pretty good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
STiBoy said:
You're on the pipe, aren't ya? What kind of statement is "0-60 is the most useless"? It says loads about the cars performance, is very usefull at determining, let's see...how fast it'll get to 60 from a dead stop. That couldn't be more useful information. Of course there are other factors...a quick car from 0-60 doesn't mean it's a hot 1/4 mile car, and visa versa. That's why those stats are included in specs on a car's performance. The 0-60 time is by far the first performance stat the people look at...obviously it's the MOST useful spec point.

BTW, I read somewhere that the STi will do 30-50 in 1.67 seconds (3rd gear)? If that's true, that's pretty good.
\

When a manufactuer quote 0-60 times they should also mention the technique for getting there. For example, if they claim the STi does 0-60 in 4.8 seconds by dropping the clutch or slipping the clutch they should be willing to replace those parts under warranty if they fail, since they advertise the car is cappable of doing that. Otherwise they should quote a "safe" launch 0-60 time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not to mention the STi motors are hand built...
The gear ratios are alot different. The Japanese call it Cross geared... Still havent figured exactly what that means??? My STi pops straight back into the power band every shift...
The Coupes, which you guys dont get are all seam welded making them much stiffer... The Intake manifold is flowed slightly better... Bigger fuel pump and injectors... different shocks and springs... Plus down here the STis run 18psi standard... Your 2.5 might be a little lower... Molebnium coated Pistons...(I think this might be standard on all WRXs now???
One of my freinds just had is BONE STANDARD 01 STi Dynoed at 198KW at the wheels... Not bad considering it still had the cat in...(we only have one down here)
Well worth the money... I have owned 2 regular REXs and now an STi... The differences are everywhere...

·
Registered
73 Posts
fear not, you can slap a turbo kit on that RS and have a nice lowend and quite a nice power improvement as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts