ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys kinda of a silly question, but i have a tp stage 1 right now. im picking up a cobb dp tonight from a new subie buddy for 200 bucks.only thing is i wont have time to install until like 2 weeks from now so the suspense is gonna kil me:face:. just kinda wondering what to exspect, is the differance gonna be like going from stock to stage 1 or will it be a even greater boost in power? this will be on a 2012.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
stage two is definitely more power, but the curve is smoother, so it does not feel like you gained as much as you would expect.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
On the older Subarus the difference from stock to stage 1 was much less than the difference from stage 1 to stage 2. On the late model cars, it's a very similar difference. You'll definitely notice the increase in power significantly over stage 1.

Make sure you do the DP and tune to support it at the same time. Do not do one and then the other (in either order).

Reactions: T0rque

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
On the older Subarus the difference from stock to stage 1 was much less than the difference from stage 1 to stage 2. On the late model cars, it's a very similar difference. You'll definitely notice the increase in power significantly over stage 1.

Make sure you do the DP and tune to support it at the same time. Do not do one and then the other (in either order).
yip

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys and yea tune and dp will be installed at the same time. just waiting on free time and the heat shield then its all systems go! my buddy has a 11 with 342hp to the wheels on cobbs dyno, makes my car feel like a kia rio lol. so need to at least get my stage 2 going.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
i went from stock to stage 2 and skipped stage 1, stage 2 is a blast

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm currently stage 1 on my subie with an intake. I'm actually going stage two next month when Cobb has their downpipes in stock again.

This is the way my friend explained the power/spool up time of the stages: stage 1 is definitely an increase in performance over stock that will put a smile on your face. When you go to stage 2 and hit the gas ... it's like being punched in the chest.

·
Registered
459 Posts
just a question, why are you guys favoring the cobb over the invidia dp. you guys know that the cobb tapers to 2.5" while the invidia is a full 3" right?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
thanks guys and yea tune and dp will be installed at the same time. just waiting on free time and the heat shield then its all systems go! my buddy has a 11 with 342hp to the wheels on cobbs dyno, makes my car feel like a kia rio lol. so need to at least get my stage 2 going.
What mods does your buddy have to get that power level?

just a question, why are you guys favoring the cobb over the invidia dp. you guys know that the cobb tapers to 2.5" while the invidia is a full 3" right?
The taper doesn't really affect performance. You can run up to 400 whp just fine on a 2.5" pipe. It's not the limiting factor. The Cobb is the best DP out there, but it's expensive. It's also the only one that has a cast iron flange, which keeps EGTs higher.

·
Registered
459 Posts
makes sense, there's a 2011 on nasioc that didnt lose any power when they went from a full invidia Q300 TBE and swapped their stock exhaust (hatch) back in

·
Registered
184 Posts
In terms of the Cobb downpipe ... what I've learned through a local respected tuner and a friend that's been tuning for a while is that Cobb dp is one of the best made pipes (material and engineering). In terms of the taper to 2.5" (as mentioned) that has no real impact on subie's performance puting out up to 400 WHP and using the car as a daily driver.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i wanted invidia but im going cobb because its 200 bucks and looks brand new. plus my buddy is running invidia and thinks the quality of the cobb is better. i also have the stock exhaust so the cobb makes more sense. lets see if i member all his mods- cobb intake with box, invidia dp, full exhaust dont remember which one, process west tmic, cobb bov, grimmspeed ported stock turbo, grimmspeed oil/air sep, cobb ap with pro tune, 21or 22 psi, stage 2 clutch, trans work,running a mixture of either 110 or ms 103, think im forgeting something motor wise...

·
Registered
184 Posts
i wanted invidia but im going cobb because its 200 bucks and looks brand new. plus my buddy is running invidia and thinks the quality of the cobb is better. i also have the stock exhaust so the cobb makes more sense. lets see if i member all his mods- cobb intake with box, invidia dp, full exhaust dont remember which one, process west tmic, cobb bov, grimmspeed ported stock turbo, grimmspeed oil/air sep, cobb ap with pro tune, 21or 22 psi, stage 2 clutch, trans work,running a mixture of either 110 or ms 103, think im forgeting something motor wise...
Yeah, can't beat Cobb quality. My friend had their complete system on an '07 STI and the system still looks brand new.

I can't wait for their cat-back system to come out for the sedan!

·
Registered
902 Posts
hey guys kinda of a silly question, but i have a tp stage 1 right now. im picking up a cobb dp tonight from a new subie buddy for 200 bucks.only thing is i wont have time to install until like 2 weeks from now so the suspense is gonna kil me:face:. just kinda wondering what to exspect, is the differance gonna be like going from stock to stage 1 or will it be a even greater boost in power? this will be on a 2012.
If your getting a Cobb catted dp for $200 that's a really good deal. One really nice thing about adding the dp and tune is the increased torque in the mid range. It makes the car much more fun to drive and you don't even have to go past 1/2 throttle to appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Yeah $200 for the Cobb is a screaming deal since there's no difference between a new and used one other than the surface is probably a bit tarnished, and some of the life of the cat has been used up. I'd jump on that in a second!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts