ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm thinking about doing a little bit of an unconventional mod path compared to what most people do. After I get to stage 2 (important for me for smoothness, power, low-end torque and gas mileage), I'm thinking that the next thing I do should be the differentials (some parking lot experiments, this winter, and all my research convince me that this is a weak point in the WRX setup). Wheelspin sucks.

However, I'm also looking into the cheapest ways to do all of my mods, as I'm on a college budget right now. New clutch-type diffs run for well over $1k each. I'm not about to drop $3k into my car for those certain situations where a diff comes in handy.

My end setup will probably be a DCCD, stock sti r180 and stock sti front. The helical diff in the front doesn't make me super-excited, but I can certainly deal with it (and it's easier to find aftermarket replacements for an sti setup compared to a wrx setup).

However, I want to do this in stages, and with as little extra modification as possible. In other words, I want to keep my hubs and brakes, my transmission as long as possible, etc.

My idea for a first step was to pick up an '06 or '07 r180. Since this has the same ratio as my diff, theoretically it should drop right in mechanically, but how much modification would it take to physically bolt it up to my stock drivetrain and axles?

Now, the bigger part. Is it possible to fit a dccd and/or sti front lsd into a regular wrx 5-speed? Is there any modification that would allow this, or at that point does it just make sense to drop in a 6mt?

Now, I was also thinknig along the lines of other options - for example, stealing an LSD out of another car that uses r180 or r200 diffs. I do want a clutch-type diff at least for the rear, though - are there options along these lines that would work? Is there anything out of another car that would be even remotely compatible with the front diff? I imagine my options for center diff are limited to subaru parts, right?

Anyway, in general I'm trying to gain more understanding of my options in the drivetrain department - I know it shouldn't be impossible to put together a good AWD system on a budget, right? Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
only dccd that will fit is one meant for a 5 speed... and even then theres lots of unknowns and itll be old and near impossible to find etc etc...

for the front diff you do know its inside the trans right? meaning the trans has to come out and be split open and diff installed by a professional? at that point you could have bought a 6 speed for the same price

for the rear diff the only way for it to work with your hubs is to have the sti diff ends put on the wrx axle, i had mine welded by a local shop that does them often
you can buy a kit from some nasioc vendors that replaces the inner part of the inner cv joint to allow the sti inner to slide on the wrx shaft but its not cheap

i'd say keep all the 5 speed parts until you do a swap and then get it all at once, save up for it

-Alex

edit: i looked into better diffs, mainly the center diff, and gave up after finding nothing that satisfied me, either too much money or not quite what i wanted and in the end the 5 speed isnt worth spending money on... if it works GREAT when it breaks replace it with something better

1 - 4 of 4 Posts