Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was just looking around for some oil (it's time for me to give my little bud his first oil change), and I was going to get some T6. I went to the store though and all I can find is diesel oil.

I know diesel oil is generally thicker, which I don't mind (my WRX isn't young, it's just new to me....150k, and I live in FL so I don't need to worry about cold weather). I also know it has different additives, and I thought it was meant for higher temperatures. My thoughts are that a turbo gets really hot so this should be a good thing, but I do t want to kill my engine with what could be a very stupid thing on my part.

So is there a gasoline version of Rotella T6? Or is T6 just T6 and I should just dump it in?

And so he said, "Go forth with greasy hands and fixith thy bugeye."

...and it was attemptedeth.

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
T6 is an oil designed for diesel motors that happens to work magically in various performance gas turbo 4 cylinder motors.

I've never seen a drain plug like that before.... Is it threaded in there?

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Man, if that's a rubber plug or something that's not secured in there very well I would be highly concerned about the rest of the car...
Well, good news is it's metal. Bad news is I don't see a way to get it out except with that little tab. I've attached some more photos.

Sorry for the bad images, I couldn't get my phone far enough away to get it to focus. Looks kinda like the tab says patent number.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
If you get another oil pan, you might consider picking up a 2004-2005 STi oil pan, pickup, and baffles.

The design is better for hard cornering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool! Thanks a bunch guys. I really appreciate it. Looks like a new sti pan isn't too expensive. I'll see if I can get this done next weekend. I'll have to put off my oil change till then too. I don't want to open that plug up and not be able to get it back on.. it hasn't been leaking so far.

I just opened a new thread over in the engine section as this isn't really troubleshooting anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.