29,452 Posts
The wrong Motul for what?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wrong Motul for what?
Really?

For a oil change. It says 5w30 on the cap on the motor. The bottle says 5w40 and I remember reading somewhere that subaru requires it be some sort of ECO blend. I don't know the exact term but it had the word ECO in it.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,452 Posts
Yes, I asked in earnest.

If your owner's manual and/or any revised specifications accept a 40W API SM oil, I'd keep the receipt from the dealer filed somewhere and not worry about it. The oil itself is a robust product (it's ACEA A3 and VW 505.xx from what I see, and BMW LL01 is a robust spec if memory serves) so that should not be an issue. The only issue you could possibly have to consider is warranty coverage, but if the oil meets the specifications in your manual, you're just fine.

The manual will specify a broader range of acceptable specs and viscosities than the fill cap. For example mine specifies anything from a 30W to a 10W-50, and from SJ to SL. Again, just an example; yours will vary. Do check it though.

·
Registered
750 Posts
You need 5w-30 viscosity oil as the manual states for 2011 wrx. They removed full time use of 5w-40 in the manual addendum. 5w-40 oils can only be used to top off if there are no 5w-30 oils available(highly unlikely since it's one of the most popular oil weights).

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would return it to avoid warranty issues down the line. I was thinking of switching to 5w-40 myself until I received the 2011 manual addendum.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,452 Posts
They removed full time use of 5w-40 in the manual addendum.
That's very interesting. I wonder if they did this because their fuel consumption just wasn't what they needed or what.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That's very interesting. I wonder if they did this because their fuel consumption just wasn't what they needed or what.
That's what I'm thinking. Probably to be competitive with new regulations. The new 5w-30 SN GF-5 synthetic oils (M1 EP 5w-30 is what I'm using) seem to work well in my car that I see no reason for me to switch now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to clear things up the motul 8100 5w30 eco-nergy will not cause any warranty problems?

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
So you got your oil changed by the dealer?Then its their problem in the unlikely event of something happening.

I have not had any problems with the Rotella 5w-40 so far.But yes,manual does state 5W-30.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you got your oil changed by the dealer?Then its their problem in the unlikely event of something happening.

I have not had any problems with the Rotella 5w-40 so far.But yes,manual does state 5W-30.
No I didn't have them change it, I just bought the oil from them to do it myself and didn't even look at the bottle until I got home.

Sent from tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I guess now that I have a 2008 and a 2011 I should see of my redline 5/30 meets the requirements. I have a full case still...

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
you should have no worries going with a slightly heavier/thicker oil. 5W40 or 10W40 will not cause any issues, hell, even 50 weight will not cause an issue (though it may effect MPG). The heavier oils are only needed under high temp conditions (you live in a dessert or drive through one on a regular basis) or extreme race conditions.

Just don't go lower/lighter than 5W30 as you run the risk of not enough lubrication.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts