ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went rallying (or so i think) friday, got crazy mud and dirt all over car. So finally drove home when i noticed that as soon as i got up to 60mph the car started vibrating, LIKE CRAZY..Did this all the way home. Finaly checked it out the following morning and found like 2 lbs of mud packed into the wheels, So i washed it out and all cleaned out, I start the car and get going to see if the Vibration stopped, It did at 60mph, But now it does it at 80mph WTF? Did I miss something? Or break something? let me know...Thanks

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
So i went rallying (or so i think) friday, got crazy mud and dirt all over car. So finally drove home when i noticed that as soon as i got up to 60mph the car started vibrating, LIKE CRAZY..Did this all the way home. Finaly checked it out the following morning and found like 2 lbs of mud packed into the wheels, So i washed it out and all cleaned out, I start the car and get going to see if the Vibration stopped, It did at 60mph, But now it does it at 80mph WTF? Did I miss something? Or break something? let me know...Thanks
Supposedly driving with the wheels packed with stuff at high speed for extended periods of time can cause your axles and what not the bend or be messed up somehow.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Or so you think? :sadwave:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
that's what a mechanic told me a while back.
I almost did the same thing in my old subaru.
except that once it started getting death wobbles I drove at a speed that it wouldn't wobble at until I cleaned out the wheels

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pay to play.

Better get it checked out.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Supposedly driving with the wheels packed with stuff at high speed for extended periods of time can cause your axles and what not the bend or be messed up somehow.
I seriously doubt a rotational wobble could do this. The physics are all wrong.

1) Make sure all of the mud is gone. Take a hose and wash off the wheels inside and out. Make sure you get the inside edge that you can't really see.
2) It's possible you knocked a wheel weight off.

Wobbles are rarely the sign of anything serious wrong so I'm betting it's one of the things above.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot about those Wheel Weight..Thanks guys, thats helps alot...Yes i did pay for play appreantley. I did slow down after I noticed the wobbling btw.
P.S Beefed up Rally Axles are expensive :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I most deffinately did not have Beefed up Rally axles..
Ok so i got my pressure washer out and got ALL the gunk cleared.. Still wobbles at 80mph and over
Time to take it to the shop? :sadwave:

·
Registered
703 Posts
there are three things...

1. do you have after-market rims? might have damaged/bent one of them? have you had anyone look at them to see if you may have lost any weights?
2. do you have any mud still anywhere on the car where it would affect your driving?
3. did you check axles?

·
3,726 Posts
I most deffinately did not have Beefed up Rally axles..
Ok so i got my pressure washer out and got ALL the gunk cleared.. Still wobbles at 80mph and over
Time to take it to the shop? :sadwave:
just head down to your local tire store and have your wheels re-balanced.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+1 on the Thread Title..:) aha

1.Yes i did clear all the Mud and debri from the rims and even the joints.
From behind, under, front, back, around, EVERYWHERE....its all clean

3. The rims are stock, except for the tires which are comp..Rally tires from
BFGoodrich. The Rims are not bent or damaged in anyway that would
affect the driving..

Would there be a serious and obvious indication after looking at th
axles to see if their bent or damaged? Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
:confused1 Go get it checked out. You're better off that way.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i'm thinnking wheels. where was this rallying? assuming you have nice wheels with tape weights inside and out, you shouldn't have lost a weight if it was put on right. i'm thinking you may have bent a wheel or two. either way take them to a tire store and have them throw them on the balancers. Explain the wobble to them and they'll probably figure it out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WTF!!, Took it the shop, its unbelievable!! ONE OF THE F**&*ng ROTORS....Took it to the local shop, they inspected everthing that could of caused the wobble, which i explained to them. Finally called and asked me to come in and take a look at THIS..I knew it wasn't good..So wtf, how does that happened? a rotor bent or warped? I dont suck that much at driving..:confused::barf: Faulty Rotor maybe?

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
WTF!!, Took it the shop, its unbelievable!! ONE OF THE F**&*ng ROTORS....Took it to the local shop, they inspected everthing that could of caused the wobble, which i explained to them. Finally called and asked me to come in and take a look at THIS..I knew it wasn't good..So wtf, how does that happened? a rotor bent or warped? I dont suck that much at driving..:confused::barf: Faulty Rotor maybe?
Warped OE rotors is a common occurrence, especially when used very hard i.e. several high speed stops. Metal expands when it is superheated (glowing hot; which can happen in a rallying situation on an impreza), the rotor cools unevenly and distorts. Resulting in a "warped rotor". Now some OE rotors are poor quality and warp in a stop and go traffic atmosphere with a few panic stops. (honda)

Bent is something else entirely. Usually happens when the rotor or wheel is hit with an object very hard and results in cracking 99% of the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts