ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you ported your wastegate did you actually notice a decrease in overboosting just from removing a few millimeters of metal? If so what was your set boost and what were you spiking to? How much psi did it drop after it was ported?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad, I said BOV instead of Wastegate.

So what is the issue exactly? Are you running the stock turbo or is this an EWG you're having issues with?
I am overboosting since the previous owner put a downpipe on the car. I am wondering if porting the turbo would help much with the overboost but I don't want to go EWG as I want to stay as close to legal as I can with the car

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was the car tuned or did it come with an Accessport or anything?

If a downpipe is the only mod, that can be easily solved.
the car came with the super old accessport the V1 tuned for stage 2 and yes the downpipe is the only mod other than a 5zigen catback but that shouldn't affect overboost much if at all?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
There shouldn't be any problems with those maps, I had a V1 on my 02 WRX back in 2013, they're not the greatest to date though. And no, a catback won't effect anything.

I'd start with going through your vacuum hoses, especially the ones around the BCS. I'm guessing your car is 02-07? Catless downpipe? How do you know it's overboosting, what are the symptoms you're experiencing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the car is an 03 and I forgot to mention the dp is catless. The hoses do look very old but I think the main source of overboosting the the downpipe I do have an extra td04 I might plan on sending to be ported

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The only way I could see the wastegate being a problem is if it's staying closed somehow. The little arm on top of the turbo connected to the brass colored circle thing should move freely, but with resistance when you push and pull it. Sounds like you have at least two tdo4's so just check that.

Second thing is the plumbing around the BCS. Make sure it's all connected in the right places, there's no constrictions or leaks, and that the brass constrictor pill is present etc.

I'd rule out anything with the Cobb AP but you know, they haven't supported the V1 in years and I'm not even sure they still support the V2. But if those maps worked back then, they should work now. It could be as simple as you have the wrong map installed on the AP.

·
10,686 Posts
Yes porting helps. An external waste gate is the only 100% solution to the over boost you have.

Blow off valves are illegal everywhere in the US, as is the downpipe on the car.

·
Æternum
15,258 Posts
Are we talking Overboosting or Boost Creep?

These are different things.

The TD04-13T never had an issue with boost creep as the internal wastegate flapper was adequately sized. If you are seeing boost that is higher than target, you may just need better boost control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts