ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Boost > NA
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I converted my Stage 4 setup back to stock in preparation to sell and tried to write a Stage 2 base map to my ECU after I was done with all the install. I took my time putting everything back together so there was about 5 days from the last run. I did leave my battery connected and apparently that was enough to drain it. As I was writing my base map I kept getting errors. After trying a few times I had realized that my dash lights were very dim and that I was trying to write while communication was probably intermittent. Long story short, I have charging the battery, I can't flash ANY maps, NO communication with ECU, no LV's, nothing. WHAT HAVE I DONE!?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'm afraid you probably did.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Yeah.. not good at all. What I was told was that it's fine for your laptop battery to die in the middle of flashing, but if your car loses power you're toast.

You can build a rig that will unbrick the ECU, but looking at the pinouts, it's not exactly a simple task.. Tactrix used to provide an "unbricking" service where you could send them your bricked ECU and they would fix it, but as far as I know they stopped doing that a couple of years ago.

·
Boost > NA
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is my best bet picking up another ECU? Can I pick up any MY02-05 USDM WRX ECU? Or should I look into un-bricking it?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Depends if you are in a hurry or not.

They are different for different years, get the right one.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
It would probably be easier to grab another ECU.. then if you have the time later on you could look into fixing that ECU and sell it.

I believe (but I may be wrong) you will need your specific year model ECU. I vaguely remember reading that there were small changes made that would cause the 02 not to work with an 03 and so on..

Depends if you are in a hurry or not.

They are different for different years, get the right one.

beat me to it :p

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just like to say that I have an 02 computer in my 03 installed by EFI that works perfectly. Or as perfectly as any computer designed for a 2.0 can work with a 2.5, anyway

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts

·
Boost > NA
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to throw you guys some follow up. I grabbed a ECU off of a guy with a 04 WRX 4EAT and worked just fine in my car. Like Ron said, once I flashed the right map LV reads the ROM as a MT map.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts