ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wife and i have agreed that before i get back from the big kitty litter box we'll buy the 2012 sti. that being said, part one of my sti mods will be
cobb ap, invidia catless dp, invidia g200 catback, cobb lightweight crank, aem intake and the hks twin ignition. the only thing we really cant decide is whether to go with the invidia catback or the cobb
any body have the dynos to show invidia g200 vs cobb stage 2?
on the same token im wondering with the additional flow will i end up overboosting?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Don't bother with the HKS twin ignition, you'll just be waisting money. I also wouldn't recommend a catless downpipe, far too many people have problems with overboosting with those, so you're better off purchasing a catted unit. Not to mention you may or may not be able to pass emissions tests in your area. Personally I wouldn't go with the crank pulley either, but that one is on you.

As for catbacks, you're not going to see any noticeable difference between the two, power wise. Go for which one sounds better to you, there are plenty of youtube videos for comparisons there.

When you install the downpipe and intake, make sure you're using the proper map from Cobb. Each map has very specific modification allowances, this is because the ECU requires very specific parameters to run properly with certain mods, exhaust and intake included.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Why wouldn't it be? What gave you the impression that the STIs ignition wasn't sufficient? Ignition is one of those things to worry about a long way down the mod path (aside from step or two colder plugs).

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
^^ Listen to Cody on this one.

Look at my mod list (in my signature). My care has a huge turbo, and makes over 2x as much horsepower as stock, and I don't have any modifications to the ignition. I also have 75k on the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think the Invidia G200 will fit the 2012.You are looking for either the Q300 or N1.
yes i realized that afterward

i did a few things to a truck a while ago and my wife and i enjoyed installing the msd. it may not do much for power but its something we enjoy and i refuse to do anything without my wife. just for the fact she wants it ill do it

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
yes i realized that afterward

i did a few things to a truck a while ago and my wife and i enjoyed installing the msd. it may not do much for power but its something we enjoy and i refuse to do anything without my wife. just for the fact she wants it ill do it
Installing mods are quite fun, I love it when my wife works on my car with me, so I understand there. But spending $600+ on something you don't need and will do next to nothing for you just for the joy of the install is a bit... off. You could spend the money on something that actually WILL improve performance, like swaybars and endlinks. Pricing out a complete Whiteline swaybar kit for the 2012 STI through RallySport Direct will cost you $663.12 (for now anyways), and looking at the price of the HKS ignition unit it's $660.00 new from VividRacing. IMO, that's a pretty damn strong argument in favor of the sway bars, which aren't too difficult to install and can be a great thing to do together. Plus, the handling improvement you get from them is just plain amazing.

Add a custom alignment to your list (instead of maybe the crank pulley if this is your exact budget), and you'll have pretty much a brand new car when you're done.

Just trying to help you out man. :)

·
turbo juice
112 Posts
^^ i agree i wish i had the money right now to do all those mods :domo::domo: adding these to my list

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i know the normal route everyone takes for modding but being that professionally i work as an avionics electrician i am always playing with the wiring in my vehicles. whether it's custom fabricating speaker panels with neon lighting or building a 4200 watt rms stereo (not cheap or easy), i mod my ignition every time. in this case its more for pure enjoyment and aesthetics. i live in hawaii so there is no track to play on in oahu. the ols one shut down. thing is, if you follow speed limits max in hawaii is 60 for a half mile stretch near kapolei. sway bars wont do me any good at this point... outside of a strut bar, which again is aesthetics. so i most likely will do the electronic boost controller and twin ignition. ill look into the wiring diagrams and figure out my own way to install the timer just because i hate being at the hangar and doing the job i was trained to do whether at work or at home gives me a feeling of accomplishment. don't confuse my frustration as being the same old "the army ruined my life" story. the army made me. im just a burnt out vet trying to do what i can to find happiness.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Well dude, do what makes you happy, but I'm telling you, you're completely wasting money there. Also, turbotimers are not needed, if that's what you implied there, Subaru specifically designed the engine so that they do absolutely nothing for you.

If you feel like blowing $660 on a useless module, go for it, but the money really will be spent elsewhere. I've been on Oahu, and my work is based there (Matson), I know driving is limited, but sway bars makes even mundane driving feel so much better and much more solid. Just trying to help you avoid wasting you're well and hard earned money.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
There's some fun drives on Oahu, I used to like taking H-3 over and driving the coast on Kam highway. There's some decent curvage and it's a very scenic drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts