Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least the first dent is fom me. (sigh - I feel so bad for those door ding stories... soon enough)

I was showing my buddy the engine. :D :D Dropped the hood and it did not close all the way. Pushed down on the hood to close it. Just the very end... quick pulse of energy. anyway, it left a barely visable crease or memory of the crease. When the light hits it just right, the idiot mark appears.

I can see it every time.... I wonder if a dent sucker service can make it any better..

ANY suggestions for turning a negative into a positive? Upgrade?

Whatever. Read and beware. This is why you drop your hood, especially one made from aluminum. I can't forget.:mad:

At least the engine is broken in!!!

1750mi PlatSilver Wgn 5sp Shrt Throw, turbo Gauge, most options.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You know, I've pushed mine down a couple of times and still haven't dented it. Sorry to hear about your dent. I know how badly things like that bother you. I had a bunch of rock chips on my hood that I could see from a mile away. Bought some touch up paint and now all I see is where I touched it up.:( I hate having such a nice car sometimes. Of course I could always have my wife's problem of hail dents all over her baby....

·
Registered
298 Posts
i'm feeling your pain my brother. the FIRST time i washed my car i was drying it, opened it all up to dry everything, started lifting the hood and CRUNCH. some dumbass left the wipers lifted and now there is a huge chip on the edge of the hood where it hit the wiper arm. i was so :mad: it doesn't bother me as much now but once i get home from this extended business trip i'm going to fix it as well as the scratch on the scoop that i have no clue where it came from

·
Registered
14 Posts
I knew it! the same thing happened to me, my car is less than a month old and that was the only thing i could think of where it could have come from. That really pisses me off. i feel your pain. i was washing my car last night and i noticed the exact same type of dents above my driver side door, 3 in a row! where could these have come from? i baby my car, so i know they didnt come from me. they are barely noticeable until you let the light hit them just right. would subaru cover any of this being that my car is 1 month old? i doubt it, just thought i'd ask.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hmmm.... I dented my hood also. I dented mine aproximately 5 minutes after getting the car home from the dealer. It isn't very noticeable, but its there. Now whenever I close my hood I use two hands to latch it. Both hands are pressing on the areas of the hood closer to the headlights. Kind of hard to explain. Anyways, I guess I have the record for who dented their own hood the quickest. I hardly even think about it now, as it isn't too noticeable on a silver WRX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lightsped said:
Hmmm.... I dented my hood also. I dented mine aproximately 5 minutes after getting the car home from the dealer. ..
yep, mine was 2 days after I got it. Barely noticable to the eye, except mine.

Hmmm.... I have insurance (100 ded comp) and they are likely to drop me (or jack my rate) in Dec cause I just listed my gf (designated driver :D ) as a driver on my policy and she has 2 points. I might call it in and make them fix it before we part company...

·
Registered
298 Posts
WizardBlackWRX said:
I've noticed that the factory paint is excessively soft. I work in the automotive paint industry and I must say they are not doing something right or using really cheap clearcoat.
Nexus6 said:
Its not only the cheap paint, the body dents and dings VERY easily...dont ever let anyone even lean on your car..
c'mon guys, where else could they save weight? thin metals and light coats of paint with a thinner clear coat. saves lots of weight for hp/weight ratio :D

disclaimer: this was intended as sarcasm in my tired state but it actually makes sense after thinking about it?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
glepko said:

c'mon guys, where else could they save weight? thin metals and light coats of paint with a thinner clear coat. saves lots of weight for hp/weight ratio :D

disclaimer: this was intended as sarcasm in my tired state but it actually makes sense after thinking about it?
The same applies to the thin glass they've been using for windshields. The trunk is so light that I need to keep my hand on it when swinging it shut, unlike good ol' American steel counterparts that just fall by themselves.

·
Registered
298 Posts
schischwein said:

The same applies to the thin glass they've been using for windshields. The trunk is so light that I need to keep my hand on it when swinging it shut, unlike good ol' American steel counterparts that just fall by themselves.
I've read some people complaining of broken front glass but haven't researched it much. My initial thoughts would be that the cracks aren't happening as a result of glass defects, or material, but as a result of how rigid the chassis is, and how tightly the windshield might be attached to the rigid chassis. There HAS to be a stress point in the system somewhere, my guess would be that there is a high strain through the glass and as a result there is more energy stored in the glass, so when an object hits it with a high force (adding more energy) that energy has to be released. Makes sense in my brain :confused:

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Some believe it has to do with the lack of a strutbar in front. Then again, I know plenty of rallyers who don't have a problem with the glass yet.......then again, they have rollcages that cover the suspension area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
reduce weight

I'm going to install those ratcheting tie down straps where my seatbelts are now...should be good for 2-3 pounds?:D :D

Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
regarding the hood dent....i feel your pain.....but try to look at it as adding a little character.....i did a similar thing when i pushed my wagon a couple of feet in the driveway...i leaned my butt against the hatch instead of the bumper.....doh!.....i see it every day!.....but eventually you'll get use to it....it won't be long before grocery carts and car doors add more dents and dings...the only way to prevent getting them is to leave the car in the garage permanently! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts