Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many many exhaust posts, but I would like to hear first hand what people think, so hear me out.

I've been looking for a deep but quiet exhaust for my 03, and I was wondering what people thought of the Borla Hush and the Maddad Whisper. I've seen a lot of reviews from people who bought and installed these exhausts, but I always wonder if their results are biased. I'm thinking the Whisper because it is a full 3" exhaust. I'd like it 3" so I have less restriction for later on when I start doing real things power-wise. I heard the Hush necks to 2.5" at the downpipe flange, but when I asked a sales rep they had no idea what I was talking about.. I was pretty clear when I asked about it, and many people have talked about the 2.5" flange opening. Kind of turned me off of Borla.

Anyways, I'd like to hear from some of the older members or members who have heard these exhausts. Youtube videos can only do so much, especially when they have the phone right next to the exhaust tip... Also, what do you guys think about the pipe sizes? I saw there is some flange to put on the end of the Hush to make it 3", but again, the rep didn't give me a straight answer when I asked, so I don't know what the deal is with that. It almost sounded like you just put it over the end and secure it with either just friction or a hose clamp? It didn't make sense to me.

Thanks, Keaton

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Both axlebacks you mentioned would be my recommendations. The Borla Hush should be a little quieter than the Whisper, and I believe the Whisper has a slightly more raspy tone to it, but I have not heard it in person.

As far as 2.5 or 3".. you'd have to be getting a lot of work done for it to really make a difference. If the car in question is a bugeye like in your profile pic, then you'd be at the point where you have a new engine in the car before it would become worth worrying about a 2.5" axleback being a noticeable restriction.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... I might side with the Hush. I've been debating this one for half a year now and was first thinking the Hush, then went to the Whisper due to the 3" piping, and now maybe back to the Hush... I'm just not sure on the 2.5" at the flange. I'm trying to think ahead as best as I can, and it would really suck if I had to upsize. Once I get some time I'll ask Borla about it again. IIRC, the Hush is about $100 cheaper due to free shipping. Just another reason to go with them I guess!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had a whisper on my 2005 Sti and it was great

I am actually considering going back to a quieter exhaust on my 2003 wrx. Keep in mind since its a wagon killing drone is a pain , hence why I am going to do a lot of sound deadening this winter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a whisper on my 2005 Sti and it was great

I am actually considering going back to a quieter exhaust on my 2003 wrx. Keep in mind since its a wagon killing drone is a pain , hence why I am going to do a lot of sound deadening this winter.
Yeah a major thing for me is not blowing out the eardrums of my back seat passengers. Drone sounds like a pain to get rid of. I also don't really get the loud exhaust thing... I don't like to draw that much attention. I also really like a quiet cabin. Hopefully you'll have a couple pictures up of how you deaden your wagon? I'd like to see if/how you do the doors. That's great you liked the Whisper. I'm still torn on which I want. It looks like the Whisper is fully bolted together while the Hush is clamped together. Still leaning towards the Whisper I think.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah a major thing for me is not blowing out the eardrums of my back seat passengers. Drone sounds like a pain to get rid of. I also don't really get the loud exhaust thing... I don't like to draw that much attention. I also really like a quiet cabin. Hopefully you'll have a couple pictures up of how you deaden your wagon? I'd like to see if/how you do the doors. That's great you liked the Whisper. I'm still torn on which I want. It looks like the Whisper is fully bolted together while the Hush is clamped together. Still leaning towards the Whisper I think.

There will be videos and lots of pictures as usual when I decide to do something dumb I document it

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There will be videos and lots of pictures as usual when I decide to do something dumb I document it
Sounds great. I look forward to it

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, Borla is making big plays now. Their "Hush" has changed to "Touring" now. This is offered with full 3" piping all the way through. I'm going to side with Borla. It's hard to beat the price difference for nearly the same exhaust, and also it sounds like it's getting harder and harder to get a hold of/get products from Maddad. The only thing I'm not enthusiastic about is that the Touring has a compression fit in the middle of the exhaust pipe

but the Whisper has a flange in the middle. This is obviously to help with shipping, but I would feel a lot better with it being a flange like the Whisper. I suppose with two less machined and welded flanges Borla can keep it a little cheaper. I assume with the amount of satisfied Hush customers that this compression fit is never an issue, so it won't change my mind about buying it.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the fitting. If you really wanted you could get it altered.. just weld it into one piece, put two bolt flanges on it, or what I would prefer for exhaust all the way from the engine to the muffler, v band clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts