Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 WRX. I have swapped between dedicated summers and winters for the last 7 years, with Bridgestone Blizzack WS-80s on the stock rim for winter (235/45/17). The tires are now toast, so looking for a new winter purchase. Live in Rhode Island, so mild winters, with occasional ski runs up to NH/ME. I was looking towards dedicated "winter" tires again, but local shop suggested "all weather" tires for better price, tread life, and mild weather stretches above 40 degrees, yet I've never used them before. Also suggested that size 225/45/17 has more options to choose from than 235/45/17. Thought and experiences? Thanks.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,750 Posts
Narrower tires are preferred in snow and ice. They increase the psi on the ground and won't float on snow. They push to the ground.

I prefer winters. All season tires are ok at most things but good at nothing. Winter tires are great for winter.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up going with winter tires - Continental Viking Contact 7's. Impressions pending once temps are more consistently cold and there's snow on the ground. They should still be an upgrade from my previous Blizzaks, however, since those were almost bald when they came off.

· In Æternum
23,698 Posts
My memory with Blizzaks were... they were incredible when new but quickly lost that magical compound that made them so damn good in the snow.

If the outgoing Blizzaks were bald, I'm not surprised this is a monumental upgrade.

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX White
15 Posts
I bought a set of nice 2016 WRX 17 x 8 inch rims on craiglist for $300 and placed my Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 17-245/45 on these rims. These are great winter tires for the PNW and going back and forth to the Cascade ski areas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts