Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story shortened:rotfl:

My driver's side headlight has been getting an immense amount of condensation lately. So much so that I get an in-cabin message stating that my headlights have been disabled. In other words, at night, I only have one headlight, because Subaru designed the auto-focusing LED low-beams in a manner which completely disables them if there's a "problem."

So I take my STi to the dealer, I have LED high-beam bulbs installed 9005 Style, Fully Seated O-Rings.

They deny the claim, saying that the headlight has condensation because I installed aftermarket headlight bulbs that "wiggle too much" and are allowing water in. I've had the bulbs installed for over a year and a half, even through a HEAVY winter last year, and I've had 0 problems. The "wiggle" they spoke of, and tried to show me, is so miniscule that I feel like I'd need a micrometer to measure it. The dealership tried to tell me if I wanted it fixed, I would have to buy OEM bulbs from them, and have a tech install them, and see if it cleared up the problem, and if not they'd "Go from there."

I called SOA, and they were perplexed. They thought I'd replaced the entire headlamp housing because of the way the dealer wrote things in their notes. I installed OEM Sylvania SIlverstars, Dried the headlight out with a hair dryer, and left a silica packet in t he housing overnight, and the condition has not gotten any better, one day of frost and the condensation returned to the inside of the housing. SOA told me to update them, and the dealer is still standing strong with "Anything I don't buy there is aftermarket" I have another appt this Friday, and we'll see how things go from there.

I really haven't ever had to deal with anything like this, as I usually just fix my car myself, but I can't believe a dealer would act this way on a practically brand new car, when there's clearly a defect. I'd understand if I was trying to get them to warranty some eBay special Halo Headlight housings, or get them to replace my shortblock when I rolled in with a rotated setup.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's pretty upsetting. If you have SOA on your side then they can override the dealership's stance I'd assume.
No reason why a brand new car has headlight condensation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
SOA will fix it up. Sounds like they already smell issues from that dealership based on the description they received of your issue. Stay strong, you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Good luck man, I know this type of thing is a bear to deal with. Just keep on SOA be the squeaky wheel they oil just to shut up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm afraid to do anything with this car.
Technically you're not suppose to do anything but drive it....that applies to any car. You mod, you risk denial.

If someone going to mod at least be smart enough to bring it back to stock when issue come about and you need to bring it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
Technically you're not suppose to do anything but drive it....that applies to any car. You mod, you risk denial.

If someone going to mod at least be smart enough to bring it back to stock when issue come about and you need to bring it to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They know if is a back to stock job.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,041 Posts
They know if is a back to stock job.

Well now they would, but I don't see how they could possibly know if you swapped bulbs from stock to aftermarket to stock again, unless the aftermarket bulbs damaged the wiring in some way.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

Surprise, the dealer "Couldn't find any evidence" that the "aftermarket headlight bulbs" I had in my car damaged the headlight, lol.

They ordered a headlight for my car, but stated they probably can't get me in to install it until mid December, which I can deal with. All I know is that if I get a ticket between now and then for having a headlight out, Subaru will be footing the bill, and not myself.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,596 Posts
The car is under warranty.

The car is illegal.

They sold you the car for legal road use.

Ask them for a loaner until they can fit you in.

Then sit back and marvel as they hem and haw, escalate to Subaru, and you'll have your car fixed yesterday -- or a loaner...

·
Registered
403 Posts
The car is under warranty.

The car is illegal.

They sold you the car for legal road use.

Ask them for a loaner until they can fit you in.

Then sit back and marvel as they hem and haw, escalate to Subaru, and you'll have your car fixed yesterday -- or a loaner...
^Definitely this. Good post!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts