ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't only an exterior and appearance question, but I don't want to post the same question in 4 different forums.

Maybe I should use the $500 to pay for oil changes? No way. Plus, Subaru also gives you oil changes until about 25,000 miles I think...

So basically, I have a 2012 DGM base WRX hatchback. The only options I got with the car are:
  • fog light kit
  • red footwell illumination
  • HomeLink mirror
  • rear cup holder
  • cargo tray
  • armrest extension

I didn't get the STS, and now I think I should have gotten at least the bushings because the stock shifter feels kinda sloppy... Also, I've already scraped on a driveway so I'm thinking about the front lip spoiler. I don't have a boost gauge either, but I don't know where I would prefer to put it; I don't like it on the dash, but maybe the pillar or the steering column?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Maybe your dealer has some oil change deal, but Subaru (SOA) does not offer free oil changes. As for the money ... if you are not likely to go get aftermarket stuff, then put in the STS and STI bushings, especially if you already have concerns with the stock unit.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe your dealer has some oil change deal, but Subaru (SOA) does not offer free oil changes. As for the money ... if you are not likely to go get aftermarket stuff, then put in the STS and STI bushings, especially if you already have concerns with the stock unit.
Yeah, more like first impressions... It might grow on me but I doubt it.

I'm not UNlikely to go aftermarket, but the money is free right now, you know? I hear that the official lip is better quality than aftermarket stuff that's cheaper, but that the KartBoy bushings are better than SPT/STI ones. From what I see, none of either are actually "bad" though, so while the money is free I might as well spend it!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I'd do bushings and STS.

I honestly wouldn't do a lip...if you just scraped without it, you're going to tear the lip off anyway. Believe it or not, the OEM lip isn't really that durable, that is if it's similar as the V-Limited lip that was on the 2007 STI Limited.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd do bushings and STS.

I honestly wouldn't do a lip...if you just scraped without it, you're going to tear the lip off anyway. Believe it or not, the OEM lip isn't really that durable, that is if it's similar as the V-Limited lip that was on the 2007 STI Limited.
...but I would rather scrape the heck out of a $300 black part than my bumper that will need to be repaired/replaced/repainted...

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming into/out of driveways and parking lot entrances - this is incidental scraping that I don't think is strong enough to really snap off the lip. ...Unless the lip is just snapped on there and not being held on properly...

And I really like the look of the lip!

EDIT: I'm not arguing with you - I'm asking for confirmation/rebuttals. The answer to every yes/no question could be: yes. or no. Thank you for your feedback!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Understood...I was just offering up some ideas :) Just giving my experience...I had the Limited lip on my 2007 STI Limited and the quality was poor. It wasn't even Urethane like a bumper. It was an ABS type plastic that literally snapped in half. Mine got ripped off in snow (not that you'll have that problem in SoCal).

I too love the look of the lip on both generations. It's just that I don't think you should waste $300 on the lip, when you can get the same great looking lip for $100 through a vendor/ebay. I'd feel better about scraping the $100 lip, over a $300 lip, over a bumper. Just some food for thought :cool:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understood...I was just offering up some ideas :) Just giving my experience...I had the Limited lip on my 2007 STI Limited and the quality was poor. It wasn't even Urethane like a bumper. It was an ABS type plastic that literally snapped in half. Mine got ripped off in snow (not that you'll have that problem in SoCal).

I too love the look of the lip on both generations. It's just that I don't think you should waste $300 on the lip, when you can get the same great looking lip for $100 through a vendor/ebay. I'd feel better about scraping the $100 lip, over a $300 lip, over a bumper. Just some food for thought :cool:
Perfect feedback. Exactly what I was asking for. I've heard good things about the official one... Are the aftermarket ones as good or as easy to install?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Perfect feedback. Exactly what I was asking for. I've heard good things about the official one... Are the aftermarket ones as good or as easy to install?
From what I've heard, yeah they are. Some come distorted in the box, but once mounted, they will form to your bumper. A lot of the aftermarket ones are even urethane or at least stronger. I honestly have never heard poor feedback on the lips. Hell, have you ever seen the Garage Door trim lip mod? :rotfl:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've heard, yeah they are. Some come distorted in the box, but once mounted, they will form to your bumper. A lot of the aftermarket ones are even urethane or at least stronger. I honestly have never heard poor feedback on the lips. Hell, have you ever seen the Garage Door trim lip mod? :rotfl:
Haha no but I can imagine what that is just from the name. :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Thanx for the confirmation in my purchase, though!
Lol,okay.Serves me right for not reading the post in its entirety.I thought that was you list.

Are you interested in a roof rack?

The STI STS should cost about $300 & the lip costs about $300.So if you go with these 2 options you may have to pay some.

Aftermarket lip costs $150 & STS with bushings costs $200.So even if you got the OEM version it may cost you at most $100.

I'm not a big fan of the OEM boost gauge either.There are more discreet options.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know, I was actually thinking about a roof rack... But we only bike maybe once or twice a year right now (next weekend would actually be one of them...). Maybe when the kids are a little older, but I think I can take that up at that time.

And re: the shifter - I don't mind the throw of the stock shifter, so I don't know if I want to go full STS. Maybe just the bushings to clean up the slop, and that would save a lot of money that can be allocated for something else.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Haha no but I can imagine what that is just from the name. :)
Believe it or not, it doesn't look bad...and its rubber, so it's uber-durable! haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
SPT exhaust maybe? but you'd have to throw money on top of that. I have one of the $130 ebay lips on my 2011 and its great quality, no point in going with the oem for twice as much. I also have the kartboy sts and bushings which give a much sturdier feel...nice little klunk with shifting. Doesn't decrease the height of the knob compared to stock much I don't think.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, hold the suggestions. (Or don't - it's a good topic to me)

Fine print is that this isn't $500 to spend. It's more like a $500 limit on a 15% discount... Sure didn't sound that way though. The email I got reads like this: "
Your discounts will be deducted from the balance on your card."

Anywhoo... I'll probably still be ordering the lip and shifter bushings. ...But I can't find an aftermarket lip for a 2012... Help?

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Get the front lip from oem only. Others are junk.

Kartboy STS with bushings

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get the front lip from oem only. Others are junk.

Kartboy STS with bushings
Consider it noted. Thanx.

And I don't know if I have got a clear answer on the following yet, so I'll shamelessly ask again: can I do the KartBoy bushings without the STS? I really don't mind the stock stick - just the play and the slop.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts