Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing my 25K service, the local Subaru dealership forgot to tighten my transmission drain bolt. Around 2 weeks later I noticed a puddle of transmission fluid in my garage. The dealership flat bedded the car to the shop and found the drain bolt was only finger tight and I lost 1 to 2 quarts of fluid. Now I am at 28k and my clutch is slipping. I am hoping it will be covered under warranty. I am not sure if running low on transmission oil would cause transmission/clutch slippage but that is what I am experiencing. The car is all stock with zero modifications. I am worried that they will say I beat on the car and make me pay $1,000 to $1,500 to replace the clutch. If that is the case can I have the dealer install a better clutch?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,726 Posts
After doing my 25K service, the local Subaru dealership forgot to tighten my transmission drain bolt. Around 2 weeks later I noticed a puddle of transmission fluid in my garage. The dealership flat bedded the car to the shop and found the drain bolt was only finger tight and I lost 1 to 2 quarts of fluid.
Therefore you and they both have records showing they did the service and they left the bolt loose, correct?

Now I am at 28k and my clutch is slipping. I am hoping it will be covered under warranty. I am not sure if running low on transmission oil would cause transmission/clutch slippage but that is what I am experiencing.
Nah.

The car is all stock with zero modifications. I am worried that they will say I beat on the car and make me pay $1,000 to $1,500 to replace the clutch.
Don't worry, it'll give you wrinkles.

If that is the case can I have the dealer install a better clutch?
I hope not, unless there is somehow an authentic part that has been improved. IDK if there is. I'd run far, far away from a dealer that installs imitation parts though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made sure I had it in writing about their error. In fact I told them that I would not trust them to tell me if they made a mistake so the service manager recorded a video of my car going on the lift and he loosened the transmission drain plug with his fingers and showed him draining the fluid. I made sure it was noted in the invoice as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,426 Posts
I made sure I had it in writing about their error. In fact I told them that I would not trust them to tell me if they made a mistake so the service manager recorded a video of my car going on the lift and he loosened the transmission drain plug with his fingers and showed him draining the fluid. I made sure it was noted in the invoice as well.
Your clutch is independent from the gearbox that contains the fluid.

I highly doubt they will replace it with anything besides a Subaru part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured as much but I am not a mechanic. I thought maybe the transmission could overheat and cause a seal or bearing to leak or malfunction. I'm really upset that the clutch only lasted 28k. I do not dive the car that hard. No crazy launches or anything like that. I cant imaging having to replace my clutch every 28k. Something is not right here. Some people can go 100k on the original clutch.

·
Super Moderator
11,426 Posts
I wasn't sure if Subaru offers a better clutch that the standard one.
It’s far more than adequate. The only time you should really need a different one is when you have more torque than the stock one can handle.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
As I told someone in another thread, if you're not satisfied with the results you can contact the Subaru of America hotline. They're great at addressing concerns. They also like to send, "We f**ked up," presents... Which is how we got our Sony Sound Bar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE- Well the dealer replaced my clutch assembly and flywheel and it was covered under warranty! I picked the car up yesterday and when I pressed the clutch down it moved like it was not even connected. This new clutch assembly and new grease make the clutch so easy to press that you would think its broke! The clutch that came with the car when it was new was always hard to push but this new one is as easy as the gas pedal to press.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts