Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer says the invoice has a $150 fee on top from Subaru for advertising costs. He gave the impression that the fee is different for different parts of the country, but that "there was nothing he could do about it". Anyone else hear this crap? ..and to any dealers: Is this really crap? :confused:

The acronym was AMD or something like that.. (can't remember)
-KLK :p

·
Super Moderator
1,991 Posts
Regional advertising

Yes, they got me on this too. All dealers of all makes claim this expense. It is a real expense, in that they have to buyads on TV, local papers, etc., but most dealers waive them in the first round of haggling.

problem is, is that dealers know there are very few WRXs around, and they know if you don't buy the car, the next guy will. In other words, they don't have to do you any favors. My dealer added the regional advertising AND a $50 writing fee for the paperwork. Plus only met me halfway between MSRP and invoice. They got the car for me from Detroit, so there is a *little* extra expense for them (driver and gas) but I bought the only WRX wagon for sale in the Cleveland area at the time, so they pretty much had me over a barrel. Or, I could have walked and kept driving the truck until WRXs become more common. I chose to take the $200 hit and have my fun. Your choices may be different...

Try to talk them out of it, but they sorta have you by the short ones if you are really anxious.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'd say shop around. I just put in my order, and after haggling at one dealer for a few hours, got them to 300 below invoice. They were a**holes though, and didn't have the exact car, so i went to another dealer. The other dealer had exactly what I wanted, without extra stuff and I paid exactly invoice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chickie-cow: sounds like you got a good deal. They're giving me 400 over invoice (so I guess that's 700 for them, considering holdback), for exactly what I want. ..but the thing is, they say this $150 is on the invoice from Subaru. As in, "we didn't add it, Subaru did"

kinda makes my skin crawl. :mad: Oh well, I probably wouldn't be so p-o'ed if I had the car. This is on top of "we though it would arrive by now, here have a loaner til it gets here" sort of crap. hmph.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Actually, dealer holdback is $720, they get $25 for gas allowance, and $200 for loss of interest from subaru for putting the car on the lot. The $200 is what they actually lose the longer the car sits on the lot basically. The second dealer that I went to showed me all these figures, it was on an official looking paper from subaru. Basically even though I paid invoice, the dealership makes ~$950 on my sale, because the car will never even be on the lot one day. With that they can afford to cut the salesman a bit of a comission, even though he sold the car at such a low cost.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thechickencow said:
Actually, dealer holdback is $720, they get $25 for gas allowance, and $200 for loss of interest from subaru for putting the car on the lot.
(snip)
The second dealer that I went to showed me all these figures, it was on an official looking paper from subaru.
TCC: I am really interested to know which dealer you went to; it might be worth the drive from Chicago. You could email me directly at [email protected] or post if you like.. Thanks, man!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I was at Frank Gentile in Racine where they gave me $300 below invoice. The dealer I ended up going with is Harms Motors in Lake Geneva, WI.

I should also tell ya, I am guessing that your chances are better at Frank Gentile. They have a lot more cars, are a bigger dealership, and probably will work with you more. They told me they were only giving me this good of a deal because they wanted to be the #1 subaru dealer in SE Wisconsin. The salesman I worked with was Steve Paulson, he wasn't too tough to get to come down on price. I am pretty sure that they'll get you to very close to invoice price without many problems.

email me if you want to talk more. [email protected]

·
Registered
470 Posts
OK the "REQUIRED" advertising fee is a crock of shit from someone who wants to put a few extra bucks in his pocket.

I don't believe anyone should ever pay advertising on any car...

and as far as them not having to deal on the WRX because they are a rare car... if they were such a rare car there would be none on the lot like when they first came out. Fact is they can be ordered, and are generally available most everywhere, so while popular they still need to deal if they want you to buy from THEM.

I say find a better dealer. I bought my WRX in Eau Claire, WI for about 60 over invoice 24,108 i think with all my options ordered from the factory (it got here in 7 weeks.. the wait sucked but having a car w/ 6 miles was nice).

Also I was never told anything about an advertising fee from subaru except for at Summers Subaru in Mequon.. they were pricks.. strange how they had it and noone else did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts