ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Sorry if this is the wrong section . But I could use some help from real Subaru owners.
I'm currently looking at an 09 2.5 I impreza. The dealer told me that I can take one of the turbo's that people sell on ebay from their WRX an easily install it on a non WRX.
I did some google searches an I've heard mixed answers on this.
So I'm wondering if this is true. Also please note I'm only talking in regards to the turbo, not the body modifications or anything of a WRX.

Thanks guys greatly appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Can it be done...yes, but it's not as easy as slapping it on. You would need a number of other parts to make it work. Off the top of my head... Intake, exhaust, intercooler, probably injectors and fuel pump, the ECU would need to be reprogrammed, and I know I'm missing a number of other things. It's not worth it, buy a used WRX, it'll be cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.
hmm interesting. Not at all like the dealer made it out to be. His words " You can get the WRX's turbo for less than 100 dollars on ebay. Easy install. They designed these to be upgraded"

One more question how much horse power does the 09 2.5 I have?

My problem is finding a new enough WRX that the bank will loan on, with a price I can afford.
Plus I'm handicapped an need a auto trans which adds to it.
Been searching for a while now.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,204 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You need: turbo, redesigned intake and exhaust piping, some engine build (ej253 != ej255), engine management, and all sorts of little things (oil lines, coolant lines, etc. etc.)

Sum total it would be several thousands of dollars, work included.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
As previously said, there are quite a few other things required to make a turbo work on a non-turbo engine.

His words " You can get the WRX's turbo for less than 100 dollars on ebay. Easy install. They designed these to be upgraded"
WRX turbo (TD04) are available for around $100. (REF)

"Easy to install" is relative, but I'm going to have to disagree just because there are several peaces that must be changes/added in order to put the turbo in its place.

• Exhaust manifold
  • Uppipe
  • Downpipe
  • Turbo inlet (from intake to turbo)
  • Intercooler Y pipe
  • Intercooler
  • Oil lines to and from turbo
  • Coolant lines to and from turbo
Now that the turbo is in place, you'll need to contend with
  • Injectors
  • Fuel pump
  • Tuning/engine management
  • The fact that the compression ratio ~10:1 (instead of the more boost friendly ~8:1).
  • The fact that the pistons are made of silly putty.
  • Hood scoop (if using a TMIC)
Items that can carry over
  • Intake (leading up to and holding filter).
  • Throttle Body
  • Intake Manifold
  • Midpipe/Catback (it's small but will physically work).

Hope that helps, I'll get off the :soapbox: now

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Odd it took till post 7 for someone to mention both compression ratio and soft internals.

as others have said, not really a good idea.

as for your other issue... the need for an auto trans... I do not think the 2011 or 2012 WRX are made in auto, so you would be better off getting a used WRX, if you really really want the turbo, or the 2.5i and enjoying that (they are nice as well)

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
One more question how much horse power does the 09 2.5 I have?

My problem is finding a new enough WRX that the bank will loan on, with a price I can afford.
Plus I'm handicapped an need a auto trans which adds to it.
Been searching for a while now.
Sorry I missed the other half of this post.

The '06-'11 2.5i's have 170HP/170TQ
The '02-'05 2.5RS have 165HP

The 02-05 WRX had an option for the 4-speed automatic, and these cars can be had cheaper than their 5-speed brothers, because most people do not seek the auto out.
The 06-07 WRX had an option for the 4-speed auto on the limited trim (sunroof, leather).
The 08 WRX had an option for the 4-speed auto
The 09-10 Impreza GT (same as 08 WRX) only came with the 4-speed auto (sunroof, leather).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input.
Gotta love car dealers trying to tell ya what you want to hear, just so they will get the sale.

I've been unable to find out how much hp the 2.5 I has.
But I suspect I'll regret getting it an not waiting (an hopefully) finding a used WRX.
Since it will be hard to install the turbo in it.

Edit: Seen afterward someone posted the info on the HP. So ignore that part please hehe.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also you mentioned you needed a automatic, I forget the last year the made the wrx in a auto but they don't make them in a auto anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My bro have a vw rabbit 2.5 (5 cylinder) and hes getting a turbo upgrade in it. With all parts and job, it will cost him 10K canadian, its alot of money, put what he paid for the car (brand new 3 years ago) and that 10K and its worth more than a GTI (not same motor tho)

But the guy said he should have close to 300 whp with his set up.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If you're looking for an auto, as said earlier, a Legacy GT might be the perfect car for you. They've got all the power and aftermarket support (almost) of the WRX, the auto trans, more "creature comforts" and are a little easier to come by. Also possibly look into a forester turbo, which adds the utility of a wagon.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Someone beat me to it... Get the Legacy. Don't turbo a non turbo car unless you are ready to start repairing parts that weren't designed to handle the extra 100+ hp. Sounds easy talking to someone... but in reality its a lot of work to get it to work, once it works it will break.

As for the dealer, you should print out this thread and take it to him and let him know your taking you business elsewhere. There are plenty of dealers out there that would have told you it can be done but its not worth it, and pointed you in the right direction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the suggestion in regards to the legacy.
Not a fan of them though looks wise. But I'll keep it in mind.
My mustang is getting by for now. So I'll wait a little longer an see what comes along.

thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, I'm going to go digging and necro this post a little bit. Along with the above problems stated, there are a couple other things needed.

1.Main wiring harness needs to be relocated.
2. signal wires for the coil pack needs to be relocated
3. I hammered in the up pipe to gain a little room and material has to be filed off the back of the cylinder head to fit the up pipe and have proper clearance between the head and the exhaust, the heat shields need to be taken off of the up pipe,
4. phenolic spacers under the intake manifold will make it a lot easier to fit a turbo inlet under it and past the power steering pump,
5. if you're using an STi intercooler you have to move the brake lines and cut above the firewall and hammer the pinchwelds down, along with maybe taking out the pitch stop mount as well,
6. If you plan on running a recirc valve instead of a BOV it might be a pain to fit the recirc hose under the throttle body without rotating it,
7.you need a different engine cradle, the WRX one is a direct replacement, which honestly has been the easiest to part of this project of mine so far. Unless you plan on cutting yours up to fit an up pipe past it
8. The passenger valve cover seems to be the best place to put an oil return line.
9. The PCV system routes a lot differently, so you might as well get an AOS and just make it work.
10. You have to push down your AC lines running to the passenger compartment of the car to make room for the intercooler (if you're using an STi one)
11. More things that I haven't ran into yet. Ect. Ect ect.

·
Æternum
20,560 Posts
So, I'm going to go digging and necro this post a little bit. Along with the above problems stated, there are a couple other things needed.

1.Main wiring harness needs to be relocated.
2. signal wires for the coil pack needs to be relocated
3. I hammered in the up pipe to gain a little room and material has to be filed off the back of the cylinder head to fit the up pipe and have proper clearance between the head and the exhaust, the heat shields need to be taken off of the up pipe,
4. phenolic spacers under the intake manifold will make it a lot easier to fit a turbo inlet under it and past the power steering pump,
5. if you're using an STi intercooler you have to move the brake lines and cut above the firewall and hammer the pinchwelds down, along with maybe taking out the pitch stop mount as well,
6. If you plan on running a recirc valve instead of a BOV it might be a pain to fit the recirc hose under the throttle body without rotating it,
7.you need a different engine cradle, the WRX one is a direct replacement, which honestly has been the easiest to part of this project of mine so far. Unless you plan on cutting yours up to fit an up pipe past it
8. The passenger valve cover seems to be the best place to put an oil return line.
9. The PCV system routes a lot differently, so you might as well get an AOS and just make it work.
10. You have to push down your AC lines running to the passenger compartment of the car to make room for the intercooler (if you're using an STi one)
11. More things that I haven't ran into yet. Ect. Ect ect.
You joined to bump a 5 year old post? Interesting.

·
Æternum
20,560 Posts
I've been lurking for a while. But yeah, this 5 year old post prompted me to get an account.
lol well whatever the reason, welcome!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts