Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few quick questions about getting dealer service. I bought a used 2012 wrx a week ago or so
And I have to take it in for a recall. It has 33k on if
And I don't know what the person before me
Did maintenance wise. I'm thinking that I should have all the recommended fluids changes and re do the oil so I know the right stuff is in the car. What grade is the dealer spec oils and fluids compared to if I went and did the maintenance myself with top brands. It being winter while it's in for the recall it would be nice to just have it all done in one shot and not have to punish myself in the cold/rain. If it's more worth it to do it myself because of quality I'll just do it. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a few quick questions about getting dealer service. I bought a used 2012 wrx a week ago or so
And I have to take it in for a recall. It has 33k on if
And I don't know what the person before me
Did maintenance wise. I'm thinking that I should have all the recommended fluids changes and re do the oil so I know the right stuff is in the car. What grade is the dealer spec oils and fluids compared to if I went and did the maintenance myself with top brands. It being winter while it's in for the recall it would be nice to just have it all done in one shot and not have to punish myself in the cold/rain. If it's more worth it to do it myself because of quality I'll just do it. Any recommendations?
My opinion, if you have the resources, then do it yourself. I just think something as simple as scheduled maintenance could easily be done at home. I understand the environment may not be ideal in your case, however, you will get piece of mind knowing exactly what's been done and how it's been done to your car.

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
In general the dealer equipment is great quality as is the fluids. Many folks run rotella t6 over the Subaru 5w30 but any quality oil will be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Car is made to run on OEM and Subaru-specified dealer parts/fluids/etc. The only time you "NEED" aftermarket stuff is if you are driving the car in ways not intended, or perhaps when the car is old and things are really worn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts