ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

What's the best way of using manually the driver controlled center differential, I mean how can the DCCD be smartly adjusted manually to maximise performance and under what conditions is convenient to use it in manual mode?

Thanks, Giov

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Mine stays in auto mode 99% of the time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In fact I leave it in auto mode most of the time too, because I find it very hard to keep on adjusting it when road conditions keep on changing, especially when I am on roads I don't know very well and I'm too busy holding stearing wheel and shifting gears...
However when I am on very wet roads I rather having it in the "lock" position or close to the "lock" position, I think the auto mode may have a fractional delay in switching due to the coil commuting time?
That's probably why they (Subaru) allowed the device to be operated manually as well.
After all, on dry tarmac may be better leaving it on auto mode, in case of unexpected change of paviment or unexpected sudden braking (as you know, in such cases we'll have change in tyre adeherence and lots of weight transfer when braking hard).
Anyway I would like to know if some of you guys have played around with the DCCD and may be give me some tips to improve using it.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
What year STI do you have?

You should just be leaving it on auto unless you're on snow or some other loose surface.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 2006 year model.
Yes, I think the "auto" mode is the way the dccd should be on, as you say.
Here, where I live, there is no snow but it can get very wet: in such conditions, what's the lock percentage (in dccd manual mode) you would set?
I guess on snow you would set it 100% lock, in my case maybe only 80% or 60%?
Another question about tyre pressure: the tyre size is 225/45R17, I keep them at 34psi all around.
Do you think that's right or should they be lower ar higher inflated?
Would you keep front and rear tyres at different pressure levels instead?
One more thing, motor oil: I use 5W40, do you think 5W50 would be better, given the extreme high temperatures due to the the turbo?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts