Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I struck a pothole camouflaged as a rain puddle in my 18 STI... It was pretty low speed through a parking lot, but the collision felt and sounded so bad that I thought for sure something was damaged. It was dark and raining, so I drove the car home the remaining 20 minutes of my trip. It felt and drove fine, despite being in what felt like was a car crash. I parked it, went inside to take care of things, and checked the car with a flashlight about an hour later to discover that my driver front tire was down to about 20 PSI. I found a pinhole leak in the sidewall.

I'm wanting to know how screwed I am. I only have 10k on my tires, but am I going to have to look into replacing all four to make sure I don't damage the diff? I'm going to take the tire to a shop, but I'm assuming it can't be fixed since it's leaking on the sidewall.

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
You can buy a single tire and have it shaved to match the others.

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
Yeah, that's what I thought. I was just hoping for a miracle answer...

Thanks guys.
I wish I had one. The sad truth is it's going to be hard to find a place that will/knows how to shave a tire. Most of these butchers that do it just take a gouge and have at it like they are turning a bowl on a wood lathe.

I would call around and find a mom and pop repair shop and see what they have. I know tire discounters and Bob summerel won't do it. Discount tire may, but as of my last time there they were still waiting on an alignment machine.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,574 Posts
Any shop that supports race cars could shave rubber.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a well known race shop in St. Louis that shaves tires, but they're out of town for an event in Nebraska. Tire Rack shaves tires. I contacted them and they would only order the tire through Subaru. I measured my tire depth with a gauge and gave Subaru the specs, who then ordered the tire. It will be mounted next week. $400. I really hope I used the depth gauge right. It seemed very simple.

On top of that, I'm getting an alignment to make sure everything is fine. My car is also due for an oil change and I might as well get my tires rotated. I'm looking to burn over $600.

There's actually a really good Import shop in the St. Louis area and they primarily build Subaru's. Everyone loves them and they really know their crap. I'm comfortable with Tirerack shaving my tire, since they said they usually go that route.

fml

1 - 8 of 8 Posts