ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been driving without my AP for 2 weeks. A few days ago my radiator blew (temps were swinging but I didn’t check under the hood) Until I smelled coolant and noticed marks all over the engine bay. So radiator shall be replaced. But today when starting the car to drive and troubleshooting It I hooked up my AP and got these numbers
should I be worried about the drop in DAM despite the Values for FBK and FBL, also this was also after a 10-20min drive

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
Yes, you should absolutely be questioning the DAM drop.

Are coolant temps normal?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I worded the post wrong. I drove it today after having coolant marks in the engine bay just to see if I can find the leak (I.e hoses or radiator). While driving I noticed the DAM value and when I got home I found the crack in the radiator. So I know I need to replace the radiator. Temp gauge was normal all through out the drive as well

·
11,247 Posts
Could be from the skyrocketing temps or may have blown a head gasket. I would start by replacing the radiator and pressure testing it. Then follow with compression and leakdown tests on the cylinders.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be from the skyrocketing temps or may have blown a head gasket. I would start by replacing the radiator and pressure testing it. Then follow with compression and leakdown tests on the cylinders.
I’m hoping it’s the former rather than the latter. I’ve checked the radiator cap and engine oil cap but see no signs of HG failure. But glad to know I’m diagnosing it in the right steps

·
Æternum
20,575 Posts
What car and list all mods if applicable.

·
11,247 Posts
At this point we know the radiator has to be changed. So step one would be to do that. When doing it you should also pressure test any time you break the system open. That will address the known issue and one test.

I would also drain the oil and give it a close look. The cap test is a good one but it's not a fool proof method of diagnosis of a head gasket failure. You can also watch the overflow and the radiator with out a cap and look for pulsing bubbles from cylinder pressure pressing into the system.

If it were my car and the oil was clean, the pressure test on the cooling system was good I would begin checking other possible causes. Plugs, coils, injectors, intake, or exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally had a chance to install the new radiator yesterday and drive it around today. Temps stayed normal. We got to the fans to turn on yesterday around 205-210°F according to the AP. I drained the oil and it looked normal. No milky residue nor color. It drove normal didn’t feel anything wrong occasional FBK -2.80 when in too high of a gear and going up hill. DAM stayed at .688. My AF learning was in normal range too.

·
11,247 Posts
Did you pressure test the cooling system and do any other diagnosis? Driving around like that can end badly

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coolant system was fine imma take it for a compression and leak down tomorrow. Will keep this post updated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts