Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was really thinking about buying a STI in the next 2-4months because i am graduating college in December and want a new reliable car to use for work aneverything else. I didnt want to get a nice car while in school because i dont want to park it ther and let it get scratched up or brooken into.
I live in NJ and only know of 1/4 tracks no circle/oval tracks to run the sti at. Does anyone here use their STI for just daily driving and not racing/track runs??? If so, do you feel you are not getting the full use of the cars potential??? I feel that it might not be worth it to me if i have no real place to let it do what it was made to do. On the other hand i would really love the AWD speed and handleing it has and i know i would have lots of fun driving it.
Also, anyone in NJ have a good place close by to run it besides Englishtown/Atko/Hacketstown
thanx a lot

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since picking up my STi on thursday, I have taken advantage of the power, handling, and AWD grip every single day - without going near any track!

Punch it on a rainy day just once and you will forget whatever doubts you have. Pulling out into busy traffic is more of an exercise in restraint than anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea another thing is i will be in a lot of traffic. My daly commute from school whick is only about 13-15 miles takes me around 45 min because of all the traffic
i dont plan on going over 100mph daly on highways either, but i would like to accelerate from 0-80 as fast as possible = )

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
One will never(or rather should never) drive at the limit extracting the car's potential on the public road. That's not to say you can't have fun and enjoy a drive, but it's never going to be full out(of the car's potential anyway). Given that you are just looking for a nice car to boot around as a fun commuter, consider an Impreza WRX....with perhaps slight tuning. I'm sure it'd be more than enough for enjoyment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ahh, go all the way and get an STi....

I drive it everyday to commute. It is excellent in hazardous weather, looks good, HIDs, front differential, etc....

Plus when you do get a chance... in nice weather you can look up a local track nearest to you and go AutoX and/or drag for fun...

Depends on your tastes. Performance is one of my priorities. If it's not one of yours then go for a WRX, which is still performance oriented but not as extreme...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would not want to drive my STI every day. I sit in the traffic around the baltimore beltway for over 1 hour each way to and from work. Shifting that many times is a PIA! Especially in the morning when trying to drink coffee. Also, the expansion strips on the road will knock the fillings out of your teeth.

Don't get me wrong; I would love to drive my STI every day. It is just not practical for me. Thankfully I have my 99 Elantra to drive every day. Not the best car in the world, but it is paid off, gets decent gas mileage, and if someone hits hit I don't care.:D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ive been wondering the same thing...whether an STi would be a good daily driver.

then again, considering I drive a beast of a mustang that gets 12-17mpg at most, anything has to be better than this! :D

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
Does the STi have less sound deadening material than the WRX? Is it noisy at highway speeds...from tires/wind/??? Just curious.

·
Registered
31 Posts
INTEG - deadening material is the same as a WRX. Clearly not to the caliber of BMW, Audi, etc. Not the best, but adequate. With the stock tires that are on it there is a noticible amount of road noise but with a performance car, what do you expect? The car is not noisy from the wind (again not to the caliber of BMW, Mercedes, etc). It surprised me how stable, planted and quiet the car is at highway speeds. Sometimes I'll think I'm going 55 but I'm going about 80.

If you don't mind having a stick shift as a daily driver, which I don't, it'll be fine. Silversti - yea if I had to drive a car in 1hr traffic everyday, my daily driver would not have a manual transmission, period.

If you want complete comfort - do not buy this car and especially an EVO since they are worse in the comfort department than an STi.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Mine's my daily driver. I go everywhere in it, whether around town, flying down dirt and gravel roads for labs (related to school, obviously) or just to get stuff from the store. Really bad roads will be QUITE jolting in it but everything else is more than tolerable. The power and handling have come in handy a number of times. Just last night some guys tried to trap me behind them, jumped out of their car and came running at my car (this is a VERY short version of it, for the sake of the eyes of those reading this), after trying to run me out of my lane and such...they chased me too. Had I been in my PT, I wouldn't have been able to get away. With the STi, it wasn't too difficult to get away and find police.

Getting up to speed and into traffic is a breeze. You might find yourself not yet off the on-ramp but already passing traffic already on the highway...I have. Personally, it's the BEST daily driver possible for me. However, I do wish they had made an STi wagon.

Highway noise can be loud but I don't really notice most of that.

RN

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info.

An STi wagon would be :eek: !!!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can afford the STi and insurance that goes with it when I buy a car after graduation. But I'm still holding out hope! If not, I have no problems with getting a WRX wagon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The STi is an excellent daily driver. At highway speeds, back road speeds, parking lot speeds, whatever speed, it is a blast to drive. You'll find yourself questioning the logic behind the speeds posted for curves/bends in the road. The transmission is the easiest shifting transmission that I have ever driven. Overall it is a ton of fun. The only issue for you will be your happiness driving it in traffic. The gears are very close together... I'm in 5th gear for 45mph speeds. You will shift a lot. I enjoy that, though. Traffic will allow you to perfect rev-matching during downshifts :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
mx_9 said:
Traffic will allow you to perfect rev-matching during downshifts :)
Funny you should say this. I have become much better at rev matching since I bought the STI. The car is a perfect daily for me since it has the power on tap when you need it. Feels good knowing that the car has the abilities it does even though I don't need to call upon them 90% of the time. Tire noise is pretty high, but that is a very small price to pay for such a car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone here use their STI for just daily driving and not racing/track runs??? If so, do you feel you are not getting the full use of the cars potential???
LOLOL! This is hillarious!:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
whats so funny
i am asking this because i talked to a person in my town with an evo and he said he is kind of sorry he bought it because he can never really get on it around here and there are no tracks close by besides 1/4 runs to take advantage of the car

·
Registered
92 Posts
The way I read the post that you're referring to is that it's obvious that ANY performance car WILL NOT be driven to its potential during every day driving.

I live 8 miles from work and the STi is my daily driver. I hit speeds of 55-60mph...that's it. Because I turn onto roads that are travelled by other commuters my turning speeds are much lower than if I were either by myself on the road or during driving an autocross. I do not come close to the limits NOR would I dare on a public road. Having said that :) IF I can get away with a quick acceleration..I will, If I can hit a turn at a fun speed ..I will. The car is so much fun that it does not matter that I can't hit full potential on the road...that's what tracks are for.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That is exactly it, there is NO way such a car could have it's potential used as daily driver only. Even when raced, I doubt most people could extract most of the performance from it. Such a silly question. lol. Not even BMW 330 owners would extract the performance from their cars.

I wonder how many who live in more slippery places know about destabilizing and powersliding hmm?

I would never want an STi as daily driver. Not that I can't take the harsh ride or that kind of stuff - just that it goes against my principles of waste. I'd never waste a car like that on something foolish as daily driving. Other cars are far better at driving to work with, in every reasonable way (pollution and fuel costs in particular).

I would love one for racing of course, though.. toying around in the countryside a little or real competition.

·
Registered
648 Posts
mx_9 said:
Actually, the beauty of the STi is that IT CAN be a daily driver AND a weekend auto-x'er.
Yes...and it's LOTS of fun in an autoX. Don't have the vid available yet but we had a night time autoX with a 180 at the end. Basically everyone slowed down and crept around it...I had a blast with it...let off gas, brake, cut wheel and stomp the gas...rear end whipped around, I blasted straight out through the next gate. :D

RN

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh, yeah, a lot of fun at Auto-X.

I had the opportunity to do an auto-x last weekend with instructors in my car during each run. I had just finished the breakin mileage but I still short shifted each gear so as to ease into WOT runs. I got my speeds up for each run and HAD A BLAST! It was my first Auto-X and i still have a smile on my face from it.!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts