ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im keeping my 04 wrx as my daily driver but want to make it handle better and be about 300-350hp. Im just wondering where I should start, suspension, turbo, motor, exhaust, where lol. Plz help this noobcakes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Daily driver and 350whp should not be in the same car. Lol.

I would just do suspension, vf39 or big16g, all the appearance mods. And when you have another car buy a 6 speed swap and build your motor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,751 Posts

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
The best daily driver mods are none.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So all I keep seeing is don't do this, dont do that. Why is 300-350 "too" much for a DD. And I got my big build project car, an ae86. I don't understand why there are so many rules with u guys. Ever drive a big v8 for a dd? Easy 350hp and easy to drive. I just don't get it.

·
8,921 Posts
So all I keep seeing is don't do this, dont do that. Why is 300-350 "too" much for a DD. And I got my big build project car, an ae86. I don't understand why there are so many rules with u guys. Ever drive a big v8 for a dd? Easy 350hp and easy to drive. I just don't get it.
The best DD is one that gets 30+ mpg and is cheap to operate and maintain. 350whp in a Subaru is flirting with disaster. Which takes away from the daily driveability of the vehicle. If you have a WRX that you want to use as a DD keep it stock and get a stage 1 tune. It will clean up the power band and give you a little more power. Or maybe you'd be better served just buying a Civic.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
In my opinion you shouldn't even set an HP goal. Do some mods that make the car better to drive but don't do it to reach a number.

Suspension, exhaust (TBE or CBE) and a tune would really be the only things I would consider doing on a DD. In fact they are the only things I am doing to my DD.

·
Registered
90 Posts
you do see that a lot on here.but you just have to ask your question in a different way..cause everyone has there own opinions and really let them shine...jeff

·
8,921 Posts
you do see that a lot on here.but you just have to ask your question in a different way..cause everyone has there own opinions and really let them shine...jeff
It's not really a matter of opinion and more based on fact. Right now I daily drive my WRX because my Brat is broken. But I'm pushing more than 350whp and although fun to drive, it sucks gas, it's loud and isn't the most comfortable ride. Some people might prefer that, but they are the minority. My car is still on stock internals and will eventually explode. Probably sooner rather than later. If the OP wants a good, realiable DD then I suggest he leaves it stock for best results. I'm sure Subaru designed the WRX so it was a good compromise between comfort, performance and economy. Hence why it's not as fast as the STI and doesn't have poly urethane bushings from the factory.

If you want a 350whp daily driver, the WRX is not the car for you. That's all I'm saying.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I'm honestly not really sure why people post horsepower goals. The butt dyno rules all. If the car feels powerful and fast, then fantastic, I'd say your job is donw. My wife's Insight is surprisingly nimble and actually kind of fun around town. Does it matter it barely has 100hp on tap? Not a bit.

OP: how exactly did you come up with your hp target? Have you driven a 350 hp WRX (and not just around the block, I'm talking like more than a week)? I'm assuming you mean 350 as shown on a dyno (which has a whole different set of discussions to go with it), which means with drivetrain losses you are looking to get in the ballpark of 2.5x more horsepower than the car came with. Let that sink in for a bit.

If that doesn't change your opinon, by all means, power levels like that can be achieved, and there are lots of threads in the Engine section that document what others have done to achieve these goals. Just know that there is no cheap way to do it. It will require a lot of cash, both up front, and down the road as things inevitably break.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The difference is that you're starting with a car that, in stock form, puts out 175WHP, so you want to double the output. Now try that with a big V8. Would you consider an 800hp mustang GT a daily driver? I would not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The difference is that you're starting with a car that, in stock form, puts out 175WHP, so you want to double the output. Now try that with a big V8. Would you consider an 800hp mustang GT a daily driver? I would not.
I had a 2006 Mustang GT with a full suspension upgrade, JLT Cold Air Intake, and Bama Performance 93 Octane tune as a daily driver. The car didn't even have 40,000 miles on the odometer, and every time I turned around, something was breaking. As a result, I'm kind of leery to do ANYTHING to my 2012 WRX aside from upgrading the sound system. Right now, the WRX is fitting the bill as a fun daily driver and I'd like to keep it that way. Working on a car at least once a month to fix a BS part that broke is not my idea of a reliable daily driver.

·
8,921 Posts
Look, OP, you want a 350whp daily driver WRX. Look at my build thread. That's what it takes to get there and have the supporting driveline mods to make sure you don't shatter your gear box. I've put well over 10k into my car. If you're going to put that much power to the ground then you damn well better be prepared to invest in brakes and suspension so you can stop. I also wouldn't invest 10k into a DD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dude I personally wouldnt go all the way to 350whp on a wrx, 300whp sure, but 350 and up Id say you need to forge your internals to make sure you can handle the power and boost, Im currently running a 16gxt at 302whp and BC coilovers on my 04 subie as my daily driver and its fine, VERY FAST! Just beat the guy who bought my Roush 440A, You just have to take care and maintain the car and it will be fine, and dont drive like you stole the thing, I want 400awhp, but Im planning ahead and getting forged internals and a STI 6speed first, long story short, 300awhp is fun as hell, and I use that as my DD no probs, you want any more I suggest getting a STI or forging your motor

·
8,921 Posts
Dude I personally wouldnt go all the way to 350whp on a wrx, 300whp sure, but 350 and up Id say you need to forge your internals to make sure you can handle the power and boost, Im currently running a 16gxt at 302whp and BC coilovers on my 04 subie as my daily driver and its fine, VERY FAST! Just beat the guy who bought my Roush 440A, You just have to take care and maintain the car and it will be fine, and dont drive like you stole the thing, I want 400awhp, but Im planning ahead and getting forged internals and a STI 6speed first, long story short, 300awhp is fun as hell, and I use that as my DD no probs, you want any more I suggest getting a STI or forging your motor
I'm flirting with 400...I don't have an issue.

·
8,921 Posts
400awhp? Yawwwwwwd! You pushing it LOL, what year is yours? How long have you been running that much power?
06...I've had it setup this way for ~20k miles

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Do you have any dyno sheets of your car Drews? I'm curious to see what your curves look like.

I'd also say you're the exception to the rule with that much power and no issues. The vast majority of people that go up to that power level start to have issues with one or more things. Do you track your car at all or do auto-x? What is your normal driving, more highway or city? How hard would you say you generally drive your car?

·
Registered
197 Posts
My suggestion for a DD if you want something that is fun to drive and fast. do all the basic bolt ons under the hood but really focus on the suspension and tightening everything up. I have been way more pleased with basic bushing and mount replacement. and they are super cheap! go get a transmission mount and shifter bushings front and rear. you will be hooked and before you know it you will be replacing every mount and bushing on your car. thats my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts