Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Sorry in advance for the long post. Just got an 02 bugeye that needs a some tlc. Originally I was thinking it just had something messed up with the clutch, now I am thinking perhaps maybe more. Car would stall when clutch was fully released. First thing I noticed is the shift linkage was not even in the rear bushing. Was actually just sitting underneath it up against the driveshaft. WTF. After seeing that I decided just to tear the entire thing apart lol. overkill maybe but my mind kept saying what else is gonna be effed up. Many bolts were loose or missing or replaced with thread stock and a nut like around the trans. Also noticed a few wires broken or pulled from the plug. Drivers side rear cylinder had some grit or dirt sitting at the bottom along with a little coolant. Cleaned that stuff out but it looks like it is blemished like surface rust. Other than this all the cylinders, pistons, heads all are really clean and can still see cross hatching. Also the pistons do not look stock to me? So I started thinking maybe I have an early ej207!! no avcs, its an open deck and has the vf29 turbo. But I could not find the R20 stamp on the motor so probably just an ej205 with different pistons? Would I be able to salvage that cylinder with a rehoning or scotch pad? Thanks for any help guys!

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Rim Auto part

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,791 Posts
Since the block is Al the rust is presumably just on the surface, so ideally you're looking at deposits and not pitting. I'd just try the classic steps in order, starting with naval jelly (which in reality is phosphoric acid) and a very fine emory cloth and see what happens. Next is the same stuff with steel wool, and if that won't solve the issue only then would it be time to go for the flex hone ball thingy on a drill. In theory -- theory!!! -- none of this should even affect your hatch marks, but YMMV.

I'd wonder about that coolant though, and how the rust that you see got there in a working engine.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the block is Al the rust is presumably just on the surface, so ideally you're looking at deposits and not pitting. I'd just try the classic steps in order, starting with naval jelly (which in reality is phosphoric acid) and a very fine emory cloth and see what happens. Next is the same stuff with steel wool, and if that won't solve the issue only then would it be time to go for the flex hone ball thingy on a drill. In theory -- theory!!! -- none of this should even affect your hatch marks, but YMMV.

I'd wonder about that coolant though, and how the rust that you see got there in a working engine.
Thanks, I will try those steps. Not sure if it had a head gasket leak or not. I know it ran before taking the motor out but did seem rough. And PO said it ran and drove great before he installed the new clutch, after which the car began the stalling problem.

What have you used to clean it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Just wiped the cylinder out with a rag to get the fluids and loose crap out.

I have seen people button up an engine with worse. It just depends on how good you want it. I would wonder what is beyond the piston also. Head gasket leak?
Yeah its scary how much people either don't care or don't know and shouldn't be doing. That is the problem with getting a used car like this that has more than likely been thrashed around a time or two lol. Not sure exactly if it is a head gasket leak, just going to go through everything I can, gets lots of help from the forums and see if it works... or just end up doing a swap :cool: I got the car for free so I can't complain.

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
Use a little wd40 or pb blaster on a rag and wipe it out. Denstured alcohol on a rag will work too. See if it wipes up and leaves any scoring

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
How long has the engine been sitting? Pretty common on blocks that have been dormant for a while in a humid environment to have rust marks from the moisture that collects. If that's the case, like others have said generally it's more of a cosmetic issue on the surface that can be cleaned up fairly easily.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long has the engine been sitting? Pretty common on blocks that have been dormant for a while in a humid environment to have rust marks from the moisture that collects. If that's the case, like others have said generally it's more of a cosmetic issue on the surface that can be cleaned up fairly easily.
PO said he owned the car for about a month. Clutch was slipping when he got it so he put a new one in it and then attempted to fix the stalling problem a few times before giving up and getting rid of car. So doesn't sound like it sat for very long, maybe a month. I have had it for a couple weeks now. This weekend I plan on pulling the piston an trying to clean up the cylinder the best I can.

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
Its hard telling how long it sat before that or if he left plugs out. Mahle is correct it should clean out easily.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I'm just here to say it's nice to see a vendor like Mahle contributing to a maintenance and troubleshooting thread. :thumbup:

Also, OP's car sounds like a mess.. I hope you're able to get it all sorted out.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
PO said he owned the car for about a month. Clutch was slipping when he got it so he put a new one in it and then attempted to fix the stalling problem a few times before giving up and getting rid of car. So doesn't sound like it sat for very long, maybe a month. I have had it for a couple weeks now. This weekend I plan on pulling the piston an trying to clean up the cylinder the best I can.
Try hitting it lightly with some scotch-brite, maintaining a desirable cross hatch pattern, works wonders to clean a bore up.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just here to say it's nice to see a vendor like Mahle contributing to a maintenance and troubleshooting thread. :thumbup:

Also, OP's car sounds like a mess.. I hope you're able to get it all sorted out.
Yes, Thank you. I appreciate any help I can get. The motor in this "free" wrx I got is looking more and more likely to get thrown to the side of the road, and replaced with a 2.5 or something.....

Try hitting it lightly with some scotch-brite, maintaining a desirable cross hatch pattern, works wonders to clean a bore up.
I managed to clean up the spots the best I could, you can still see them and slightly feel them though. Not nearly as bad as it was before.

And now I encountered this...

Took my pan off to replace it because someone tried a JB weld patch and it doesn't work all that great lol. Noticed this weird stuff clogging up the oil pickup screen. Feels like really thin brittle plastic. Its really stringy and couldn't get the screen clean without destroying the screen itself. So now I have to buy a new pickup at the bare minimum. Does this look like a major concern?, it does to me... Restricting the oil can't be good and perhaps caused internal damage? Motor is really smooth and easy to turn over by hand no noises or anything. Oil pump does look newer also. Thanks guys!!
Auto part Metal

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like JB weld

I was thinking this as well. Wasn't sure if the JB weld would react in this way though. Really brittle, stringy, plastic type of material? More than likely some of this stuff got sucked into the motor. Do you think it could have caused damage worthy of a motor swap? I know I need to tear the entire motor apart to really be able to tell but just wondering before I decide to waste my time on this motor or just go 2.5

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
Without tearing the engine down I have no idea. JB weld will act funky when it's time not cured and attacked with petroleum products. It could be what the problem is, or some sort of stop leak gunk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.