Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove a 2015 WRX w/ CVT and tons of fun bells and whistles a little while back. Have the CVT models been improved in the last few years? More horsepower or torque or a more aggressive launch off the line?

Motor Trend tested a 2018 WRX CVT with a 14.5 second quarter mile and a 5.8 second 0mph to 60mph - on summer performance tires from the factory

Anyone drives a CVT and feels it's quick enough? Anyone have a Stage "1" CVT? Specifically just a tune for a 91 octane or 93 octane map without any exhaust work or intakes.

Thanks all!! :)

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
I had briefly run a stage 1 OTS tune before going all in stage 2 & then some. No, it doesn’t feel fast enough. Short answer. Lol
That said, it’s the CVTs fault. It can’t be programmed around. It doesn’t fully lock in until something like 25 MPH and you can’t get much power building until you hit about 2k RPM. There is no ‘launch’ feeling. I’m betting they launched their test vehicle which I refuse to do. Also, there is a drastic difference in 0-60 vs 5-60. You really do need to learn how to drive an automatic in this case. It’s got a learning curve.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough!

Yea just been discussing the whole Golf R DSG vs WRX CVT and how an STI would be if it had a more aggressive tuned CVT from Subaru... interesting stuff...

·
Registered
12 Posts
What were they thinking?

IMHO, Subaru has made some poor decisions in the past few years when it comes to marketing their performance models. My comments to them:
1. Why put a CVT in your performance models? If you don't want to spend development money; go to Porsche, license their PDK technology and offer it as an option. Expensive? Probably, but WRX/STI buyers have never been shy about stepping up for good engineering. Porsche has already done the hard work - their AWD 911 models deliver power from a flat, opposed engine. They'd just have to develop it a little farther to send the power front-to-back instead of back-to-front!
2. When Subaru (along with Toyota) was plowing money into the BRZ/FRS concept (a 'clean sheet' design), why did they offer only 2WD? Any why no turbo model? Who do they think they're trying to sell these things to? Most of the potential Subaru buyers I know aren't looking for Miatas.
Edit: That's not to say that the NA 2WD shouldn't be offered. I would have suggested offering it as the base model, with a "T" (2WD turbo) and an STI (AWD turbo) as upgrades.
3. Why no WRX hatch? The corporate line was some BS about not being able to make it look aggressive enough. Was anyone in their focus groups over 16? I love my bugeye WRX sedan, but I really want a newer 4 door hatch for my daily.

End rant. :tongue:
5UBE

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Porsche technology in the sti would explode the price.

The brz doesn’t need a turbo.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Our Crosstrek has a CVT, it gets the job done, but it doesn't feel to me like I'm driving the car.

·
something else forever
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a "test drive" in a 2018 CVT with stage 2+ yesterday - it's a fun car but doesn't feel as "fun" as stick - but very quick with a strong tune

Would take a Golf R w/ DSG over a WRX w/ CVT

Would take a WRX w/ 6spMT over most other cars in the segment

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Test drove a 2015 WRX w/ CVT and tons of fun bells and whistles a little while back. Have the CVT models been improved in the last few years? More horsepower or torque or a more aggressive launch off the line?

Motor Trend tested a 2018 WRX CVT with a 14.5 second quarter mile and a 5.8 second 0mph to 60mph - on summer performance tires from the factory

Anyone drives a CVT and feels it's quick enough? Anyone have a Stage "1" CVT? Specifically just a tune for a 91 octane or 93 octane map without any exhaust work or intakes.

Thanks all!! :)
It's still the same in the 2019 WRX.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts