Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 WRX manual trans. Since the car was new I occasionally heard clicking from CV joints when travelling very slowly in reverse with steering full lock one way or the other. Forgot to ask dealer when having serviced, figuring it's probably normal. I searched this forum but found no threads about CV joints. I just got the car back after it was in a body shop to repair from a very short flash flood of fresh water on 9/25. Car was delayed because the passenger front seat bottom with SRS sensor was on nationwide Backorder. Now, the noise is a little more pronounced, although I know they went through all the mechanicals up to 24 inches from the ground that got wet. My question is, is it normal for a brand new WRX to do this? I am going for 30k mile service soon and will ask at the dealer, but wanted to ask here first. Friend here at work just now, told me of another co-workers car, same as mine that had to replace the clutch at 50k miles, is that normal? He thinks they replaced it with the stronger clutch in the STI model.

Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
This was a common issue with the 2016. My WRX developed this issue before I traded it in. It is a TSB for our cars and the dealer should replace that assembly. My dealer said the typical "Subaru of America wants to come see the car because a 2017 shouldn't be exhibiting the issue". That day never came but this dealer sucks and I didn't want to deal with it.

I would go to your nearest dealer and ask to take a service advisor for a drive so they can see the issue and ask about any existing service bulletin for chattering in the front suspension.

No idea on the clutch but the typical buyer of these cars will abuse it. So early clutch replacements happen often. The dealer who sold me my car said they've replaced a few within 10k

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was a common issue with the 2016. My WRX developed this issue before I traded it in. It is a TSB for our cars and the dealer should replace that assembly. My dealer said the typical "Subaru of America wants to come see the car because a 2017 shouldn't be exhibiting the issue". That day never came but this dealer sucks and I didn't want to deal with it.

I would go to your nearest dealer and ask to take a service advisor for a drive so they can see the issue and ask about any existing service bulletin for chattering in the front suspension.

No idea on the clutch but the typical buyer of these cars will abuse it. So early clutch replacements happen often. The dealer who sold me my car said they've replaced a few within 10k

Thank for your helpful reply! I will inquire about the TSB and take them for a demo of it, when I go for 30k service in the next week.

I bet the WRX that was used in the movie "Baby Driver" needed a clutch replacement after less than 10k miles!!! LOL! Great movie, if you have not seen it, give it a look.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank for your helpful reply! I will inquire about the TSB and take them for a demo of it, when I go for 30k service in the next week.

I bet the WRX that was used in the movie "Baby Driver" needed a clutch replacement after less than 10k miles!!! LOL! Great movie, if you have not seen it, give it a look.
First and only movie purchased to own on my Amazon lol they should notice it almost right away. Tech drove mine around the lot before he knew what it was. I just wish that dealer group had actually followed through with what they said would occur.

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
Considering the number of threads I’ve seen on the clutch I’d say it’s normal, or that you need to adjust your driving and shifting habits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was a common issue with the 2016. My WRX developed this issue before I traded it in. It is a TSB for our cars and the dealer should replace that assembly. My dealer said the typical "Subaru of America wants to come see the car because a 2017 shouldn't be exhibiting the issue".
A google search does not find this CV-joint TSB? I would love to print it out and bring with me, when I go to the dealer for service soon?

·
Registered
247 Posts
before I went to the dealer I got my info from this thread https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2762301

It might not be something official they have out (since all automakers are about money these days) but I didn't even have to mention this thread to the dealer I took my car to before they advised they knew what the issue was and advised me that SOA wanted to see the car before issuing the fix.

They could have been blowing smoke since, like I mentioned, they never followed up with me about SOA coming to see my car and I didn't have the time to keep chasing them around.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check the reddit link, but upon further review your first link is about suspension noise, I didn't see any mention of CV-Joints? I know for a fact that's what my issue is, because it was very common on classic Austin-Morris Mini Coopers when the joints got worn out. Owned many of those in the past, and it's the exact same noise, under exact same conditions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If what your car is doing is anything similar to the thread, I'd start there. Let a dealer do what they do, which is diagnose issues. If it's in warranty its free to have them take a look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts