Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 06 wrx. ive got a terrible front end vibration from 25mph to 50 mph and dissapates after about 55mph. i have brand new rotors, alignment, checked wheels tires and suspension. the only thing i can think of at this point is bearings and/or CV axles.

I guess my questions to you all are:

How can i diagnose this before i drop my $650 on axle assemblies?

Is this a common problem around 80-100K miles for all subarus?

should i/ can i start with only replacing bearings?

Are the bearings part of the axle assy or part of the hub/ spindle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CV axle

i dont think it is neccesarily the axles that are bad/bent either. but it definately has something to do with the bearing/ hub assy. im trying to figure out all the components down there. short of tearing it down myself, ive had no luck finding parts details online.

wheels balance out great, perfect run out too. wheels are in good shape, tires are factory size, new bridgestone RE906 pole positions ( less than 6k mi). i have rotated my wheels many times with no change. the noise/ vibes are always from the front end, definately. im positive its not the wheels and tires. it feels like there is play within the hub/ spindle assy/ or bearing.

its more noticeable when turning at low speeds or applying brakes. (and the brakes are new OEM rotors and pads too)

is the CV axle separate from the bearing/ hub assy?
or is the bearing in the outer end of axle?

·
Premium Member
19,094 Posts
i dont think it is neccesarily the axles that are bad/bent either. but it definately has something to do with the bearing/ hub assy. im trying to figure out all the components down there. short of tearing it down myself, ive had no luck finding parts details online.

wheels balance out great, perfect run out too. wheels are in good shape, tires are factory size, new bridgestone RE906 pole positions ( less than 6k mi). i have rotated my wheels many times with no change. the noise/ vibes are always from the front end, definately. im positive its not the wheels and tires. it feels like there is play within the hub/ spindle assy/ or bearing.

its more noticeable when turning at low speeds or applying brakes. (and the brakes are new OEM rotors and pads too)

is the CV axle separate from the bearing/ hub assy?
or is the bearing in the outer end of axle?
Play in the hub/spindle will cause a low humming vibration that will get worse with speed, and change during turns as load is changed on the bad bearing.

Is your vibration like a humming, or actually shaking the steering wheel?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.