Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted a thread with pictures of how to trim the heat shield for uppipe and I can't find it on search. Can anyone help me find this thread?

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
this maybe a bit radical, but why do we need it anyway? it's not really shielding much from the intake, maybe it's helping the IC a bit, but keeping the turbo cooler rather than boxing it in with the heat shield should help keep EGTs lower and the turbo itself lower temps too right?

any comments?

and i think the heat shield cutting is somewhere on i-club for the uppie install.

dR

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If what dr says is true, I'll just ditch the shield all together. Anyone else care to comment?

·
2,210 Posts
Specifically which heat shield are you referring to? There is one that covers the RH manifold that needs to be trimmed if you do not wish to remove the O2 sensor from the manifold during the uppipe install. I refitted this shield since there did not seem to be a good reason to ditch it, and also there is a plastic valance that covers the entire area. I did not want to expose that to the heat from the manifold.

To trim this shield I removed the plastic cover in the passenger wheel-well and used tin-snips. I've heard of people successfully using a dremel, but I could not see a way to do that. Once it's off, you can tidy it up; file the sharp edges, etc. Even if you have an O2 sensor tool, having a trimmed heatshield makes subsequent installs much easier.

I seem to recall there might be another uppipe heatshield up by the turbo and the EGT probe. If there is, ditch it. I recall it being a sharp unwieldy fokker. You will also be dealing with the turbo heat shield. Some folks leave this off. You will not need to trim it if you are just fitting an uppipe.

-Pace

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, Pace. I am sure I will have a ton more questions about the install. I already have about 20 pages of info. Wish I could say that I'm looking forward to it.

BTW, I need some info on EGT bung install. Can I do it myself? I have someone who says he can drill the manifold with no problem, but I am a little sceptical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts