Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here gotten a downpipe and put it in, then added an exhaust cut-out (preferrably the electric kind)? I've been told by one person that I would have to cut my downpipe (which I don't want to do) and others have told me I could just cut a segment from the stock cat-back in order to squeeze the cut-out between the downpipe and cat-back. Anyone know for sure? Since it's just a length of pipe with the piece leading off and a way to open and close with a switch, I would think I could place it wherever I wanted, so long as there's room and I can get the switch within reach of the driver.

RN

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am not sure you would have the room to do this on a stock DP. The first cat is really close to the turbo to be adding a cut out in front of it. Not to mention your exhaust gas would probably enter the car from this location. There is really no point in putting the cut out after the cats. Just replace the DP with a quality piece such as the Godspeed unit and bolt the factory DP back on as needed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a Godspeed downpipe. That's why I don't want to cut it.

RN

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
You can do it either way either in the dp or in the stock cat back. But doing it on the stock cat back will take a little more modification then the downpipe.

Im going to be putting a manual one on soon and changing it to a electric one later. But first I need to do some test with open downpipe to see if I can even make it through 3rd gear without boost creeping to fuel cut.

And I wouldnt recomend using it above 3rd gear period as your almost garunteed massive boost creep, Ill just be using mine for autox so it may be ok..

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
afpdl said:
You can do it either way either in the dp or in the stock cat back. But doing it on the stock cat back will take a little more modification then the downpipe.

Im going to be putting a manual one on soon and changing it to a electric one later. But first I need to do some test with open downpipe to see if I can even make it through 3rd gear without boost creeping to fuel cut.

And I wouldnt recomend using it above 3rd gear period as your almost garunteed massive boost creep, Ill just be using mine for autox so it may be ok..
I had no boost creep in 3rd or above when I ran it open for a few days. It may have not been cold enough...who knows.

RN

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had an elecric one installed in my downpipe. I went to a muffler shop where they cut a hole into my downpipe then welded a pipe onto that with the cutout at the end...sort of a modified y pipe. The car sounded INSANE and felt faster HOWEVER my buddy with his stock STI pulled on me on the highway when I opened my flap. When I closed it I would keep up with him or even pull a little. I have since taken it off and installed my godspeed downpipe. Now I walk on him easily. I would only consider adding it back on just to have the better sound and simply put it just before the muffler.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bingo said:
I had an elecric one installed in my downpipe. I went to a muffler shop where they cut a hole into my downpipe then welded a pipe onto that with the cutout at the end...sort of a modified y pipe. The car sounded INSANE and felt faster HOWEVER my buddy with his stock STI pulled on me on the highway when I opened my flap. When I closed it I would keep up with him or even pull a little. I have since taken it off and installed my godspeed downpipe. Now I walk on him easily. I would only consider adding it back on just to have the better sound and simply put it just before the muffler.
I already have a Godspeed downpipe. I'm thinking to wait on a cut-out until I have my whole turbo setup complete. It ought to help a little on power over the stock cat-back when I'm done with modding.

RN

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
bingo said:
interesting, did your boost fall off when you opened it? some WRXers say they lose as much as a pound of boost when they go catless DP.

dR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts