ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 05 WRX, Cobb stage-2 93 octane. Purchased a Cobb up-pipe and was going to install myself at my buddy's shop. However found a tuning shop here in the Charlotte NC area that will install it for $175. My question is the guy I've been talking to said that I sould get a custom tune after the up-pipe install to prevent over-boosting and that I would get about 30 WHP with this tune as well. Thoughts on this? The car is not my everyday driver just FYI.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You wouldn't need a tune after the up pipe install, but I would believe that a custom tune could get you 30WHP over the COBB map.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I didn't think so, needing it tuned after I did it. Was going to reflash the stage 2 map myself anyway. Was just wondering if the custom tune would be worth it, 30whp would be nice though, that would be like what 50 crank HP? The cost for the custom road tune is like $295.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yeah I didn't think so, needing it tuned after I did it. Was going to reflash the stage 2 map myself anyway. Was just wondering if the custom tune would be worth it, 30whp would be nice though, that would be like what 50 crank HP? The cost for the custom road tune is like $295.
I can't say whether it's worth it to you. I will say that I had the COBB AP stage 1, went opensource stage 1, and promptly sold the AP.

By the way, my stage 1 WRX beat a COBB OTS stage 2 STI pretty handily (in a straight line) on more than one occasion so I would imagine a good stage 2 tune is pretty impressive

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
More power everywhere, better drivability, and a "safer" running car. Does that sound worth it to you?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
By the way, my stage 1 WRX beat a COBB OTS stage 2 STI pretty handily (in a straight line) on more than one occasion so I would imagine a good stage 2 tune is pretty impressive
This highly generic comment has absolutely no context to make it relevant.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
My OTS Stage 2 WRX beats fluffy kittens and sparkling ponies around the track ANY DAY

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
This highly generic comment has absolutely no context to make it relevant.
It's a specific personal experience that might help him make the decision as to whether it's "worth it". I feel it is perfectly relevant and a real world example to the original question...stating the difference between the COBB OTS tune and a custom protune. The point was that a good protune will yield more power than an OTS, one size fits all, tune.

My apologies if it offended you in some way

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
I bet my protuned stage 1 Brat can take your 911....
Scott's 911 sneaks into my Apt after-hours to fellatiate me.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I got a 05 WRX, Cobb stage-2 93 octane. Purchased a Cobb up-pipe and was going to install myself at my buddy's shop. However found a tuning shop here in the Charlotte NC area that will install it for $175. My question is the guy I've been talking to said that I sould get a custom tune after the up-pipe install to prevent over-boosting and that I would get about 30 WHP with this tune as well. Thoughts on this? The car is not my everyday driver just FYI.
Any reason you went with just an up-pipe? EDIT: I forgot that the 05 WRX was a 2.0L and hence had the up-pipe cat. Whoops.

I'd say anything that's supposed to net you power gains, should be tuned. Any changes in your engines 'volumetric efficiency' need to be accounted for in the tune (more efficient exhaust, intake, anything that raises your engines pumping efficiency). Otherwise, you are adding more/less fuel than you should be, and most likely not making any more power (not safely at least).

That being said, I don't know that I'd go for a pro-tune with just an up-pipe. I thought that the up-pipes after 02 were pretty well off, unless I'm missing something. It's not useless, but I wouldn't expect too much from it. I'd expect your gains to be had from the pro tune, not the up-pipe. If you are going to get a tune, I'd suggest adding some more goodies in to justify the cost of the tune - boost solenoid like suggested above would be a good one in my opinion. Also if you don't have a wide band sensor, you may want to look into that before getting a pro tune.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I bet my protuned stage 1 Brat can take your 911....
My OTS Stage 2 WRX beats fluffy kittens and sparkling ponies around the track ANY DAY
Scott's 911 sneaks into my Apt after-hours to fellatiate me.
Even unicorns?
It's a driver's race.
Really. I try to make it a point not to offend or degrade people here and in trying to help someone out by making a personal comparison, this is what I get?

Much appreciated

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
Really. I try to make it a point not to offend or degrade people here and in trying to help someone out by making a personal comparison, this is what I get?

Much appreciated
I can haz butthurtz?

To the OP:
I think I've been off-topic enough. I have been running an OTS Cobb Stage 2 with a catless uppipe for a while now. You don't need a tune for the uppipe. Would it be beneficial to get a pro-tune? Absolutely. Will you gain 30 whp? Probably not. However, Cobb advertises 225-230whp for a Stage 2 2.0L. The number is probably closer to 215whp for most cars. A quality pro-tune will definitely bring you closer to that 230whp mark. That's a tentative 15whp gain for just a pro-tune on a relatively stock car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I talked to the guy at Motion Labs Tuning in Charlotte yesterday and he said about 250ish WHP with the custom tune. I would do the up-pipe install myself, just figured if I had the money to blow on myself I would get them to do it and tune at same time.

·
Æternum
20,621 Posts
Yeah I talked to the guy at Motion Labs Tuning in Charlotte yesterday and he said about 250ish WHP with the custom tune. I would do the up-pipe install myself, just figured if I had the money to blow on myself I would get them to do it and tune at same time.
That's a high-reading dyno.

250whp on the stock TD04-13T doesn't seem reasonable. Perhaps on a Dynapak or Dyno Dynamics.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts