ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well for whatever reason i seem to really enjoy customizing my wheels. i could never seem find a glossy black rim with a blue lip. so i decided to try my hand at making my own. was one of the more complex paint jobs ive done and i think it came out very nice! Everyone at the shop thought it looked pretty sweet too. now i havent pulled the tape off the tire because i still need to clear coat the blue lip. oh and the blue paint is called "Metal Specks" by duplicolor. it really "pops" in the sunlight. and i plan on getting some blue Ray's lugs to tie it all together.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
Probably not something I would have picked but it's certainly unique and it looks like you did a good job. Post pics when you get them on the car.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Id deffinately like to see them on the car. I was thinking when my car goes in to paint the very lip edge of my wheels Sonic Yellow. Just the 1/4" or whatever.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is going to look sweet, I have a picture a subie with with a similar scheme and it looks awesome.
thx man i think so too! the the blue is actually pretty close to WRB so i think it'll give it that little extra something without being over-the-top.....like my ORANGE stockers i just painted! :rotfl:

Id deffinately like to see them on the car. I was thinking when my car goes in to paint the very lip edge of my wheels Sonic Yellow. Just the 1/4" or whatever.
yeah i debated on how much to paint blue but the decision was easy when i figured out the "trick" to getting a semi-clean line all the way around. i try to make stuff look as professional as i can. but yeah if your rims are black that would look sick with a yellow trim! do it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably not something I would have picked but it's certainly unique and it looks like you did a good job. Post pics when you get them on the car.
to each his own and thanks for the kind words. :thumbup: IMO they look way better in person.

·
Registered
0 Posts
yeah i debated on how much to paint blue but the decision was easy when i figured out the "trick" to getting a semi-clean line all the way around. i try to make stuff look as professional as i can. but yeah if your rims are black that would look sick with a yellow trim! do it!
What "trick" did you use? Just carefully masking it off? It looks like a really clean job. I personally wouldn't have chosen blue, but as you said, to each his own :thumbup: Seeing them on the car might change my opinion, too...

·
Hammerdown Mod of Thunder
26,380 Posts
I like those,something original.:cool:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What "trick" did you use? Just carefully masking it off? It looks like a really clean job. I personally wouldn't have chosen blue, but as you said, to each his own :thumbup: Seeing them on the car might change my opinion, too...

to paint the blue part i over-masked the rim (the tape actually went up on the part that was to be blue), then the part of the rim where the spoke actually "attaches" to the rim is a "crease", so i just took a small very sharp box-cutter and used the "crease" as a guide to cut off the extra tape. then you just got to tape the bulk of the rim off. it was pretty easy really. then to paint the rim shiny bllack i just reversed masked it. except i went along the little ledge above it. so the trick is to have something to keep the blade even and on track as you cut around the rim.

just out of curiosity what color would you have done on a WRB rex?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
0 Posts
to paint the blue part i over-masked the rim (the tape actually went up on the part that was to be blue), then the part of the rim where the spoke actually "attaches" to the rim is a "crease", so i just took a small very sharp box-cutter and used the "crease" as a guide to cut off the extra tape. then you just got to tape the bulk of the rim off. it was pretty easy really. then to paint the rim shiny bllack i just reversed masked it. except i went along the little ledge above it. so the trick is to have something to keep the blade even and on track as you cut around the rim.

just out of curiosity what color would you have done on a WRB rex?
Thanks for the write up. I just put my stock wheels back on for the winter, but when they come off next spring I may try painting them.

As for what color, that's a good question. :rotfl: I probably would have kept a simple silver lip, though I would also have tried photoshopping a bronze or gold lip first just to see what it look like. I think the blue matches the paint well, but it's just a bit flashy for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
good job painting guys

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks great man!!! I did the same only with a red lip.

Thats looks great man! :thumbup: id definitely do the same if i had a red rex.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
yeah those wheels do look good. im not sure about the blacked out tails thogh.... i do plan on getting the roof spoiler though along with a sti limited trunk lip spoiler.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts