Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing that it's allot cheaper to take your car to a custom exhaust place and have them make one then it is to buy one from these places like M2 or cobbtunning and I have some questions. When I get a custom exhaust done, does this include the muffler? If so, would the one that a shop would provide me with be any good? or should I get a 3" muffler from one of these companies and have a shop custom make the rest?

any response is much appreciated

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Just my .02, but I would be very careful of that option. First most aftermarket exhausts are stainless steel, not a lot of shops work with this. Second, most of the aftermarket exhausts are all mandrel bent (even in the bends the exhaust is the same inside diameter). Most exhaust shops don't have the money for the set up.

If you could find a shop that could make you an exhaust w/ SS and mandrel bends it would be worth investigating. My guess is that you probably wouldn't be be saving that much $.

Big Sky WRX

G

·
another thing to think about is keeping it legal i dont mean emissions but noise wise. are you going to put any resonators in it if you made the muffler would you but baffles or would you pack. just a few things to think about. i would only do this if i had the money and the knowledge. if you feel confident with the company and the design then go for it.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Yeap, it's always better to go for an aftermarket exhaust unless the guys really know what they're doing. For the muffler you can go with any well known companies like APEXi who makes aftermarket turbo mufflers. You should consider getting a resonator if you decide to go with the custom piping becuase most of these exhausts are unbelieveably loud if you just had a straight pipe. One more thing to keep in mind is that aftermarket exhausts are bolt on so you can take them off whenever vs. having to get things welded.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well. I'm in Mississippi so I doubt there's any one here that specifically "knows what they're doing" with turbocharged imports. I guess you're replys so far are convincing me to go with the M2 turbo back exhaust. That one's supposed to be good right? With the turbo back exhaust installed, would it help any to go ahead and get teh venturi up pipe as well? isn't that where the third cat is located?

·
Registered
60 Posts
God,

Any word yet on when you will have your up pipe done?? I know in one of your other post you said you just wanted to test fit it to a diffrent WRX befour you put it on sale.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, M2 is a good exhaust system. I've had mine on my wagon for a couple of weeks now and I LOVE it :D I get a big smile everytime I rev.

G

·
I have a custom turbo-back exhaust on my rex. 3 inch mandrel bent piping with a Dynomax muffler but it is just mild steel not ss. It cost me $690 and it sounds awesome. I went with mild steel instead of ss since it doesn't snow much in Georgia but if you live up north, a ss system is a must.
No regrets here, but very few custom shops are able to mandrel bend pipes which is a must for maximum hp gains.

·
Registered
211 Posts
GOD:

How many bungs are in the up pipe? Just the one for the stock sensor, or is there a second one for an additional sensor?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts