Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cusco Front & Rear Swaybars Installed. Suggestions on Settings?

With a good deal of help, I installed Cusco front and rear sway bars on my WRX sedan this past Saturday. The fitment was perfect and the installation went without a hitch. Taking off the front brace just to get at the bolts on the bushings' brace was a pain though.

The rears are adjustable, and I set them at the highest. I have not had a chance to run the car around much, but so far, so good. The expected lean on turns is virtually nonexistant. It's going to take some time to not anticipate leaning on turns anymore.

Anyway, can someone give recommendations on the rear settings? For road, autocross and track?

If anyone in the local NYC area is interested in my stock swaybars, just pipe in. They will fit on the RS and WRX wagon.

[Edit] I do not recommend the max setting. See post below.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, so far so good with the max rear setup. But I haven't had a chance to push the car at all. Really, I got the swaybars to help me out on autocrosses. (My driving skills are what really need work though!:p ) Damn, there isn't a single autocross near me till July!

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
You may know this already, but there are actually five settings available- two in between settings- for example lowest setting (22) w/ one hole and middle (23) hole other side- effectively giving you 22.5, the other in between setting being 23.5. I currently have my rear set at 23. I've crept it up 22, 22.5, now 23.

I'll probably notch up one more setting next autox.

By the way, the other day I had a terrible knocking w/ my front sway bar- it was slapping against the drivers side tierod. The sway to link bolt had come loose, this was after two hard days of driving at a autox school. I've now upped the torque to 38 ft lbs over the factory spec 33, but I plan to add it to my pre/post autox checklist.

Big Sky

·
Registered
11 Posts
bedabi said:
Well, so far so good with the max rear setup. But I haven't had a chance to push the car at all. Really, I got the swaybars to help me out on autocrosses. (My driving skills are what really need work though!:p ) Damn, there isn't a single autocross near me till July!
I'm assuming you are in Brooklyn NY. If you dont mind driving a little bit there are many AutoXs at the Giants Stadium in NJ. For the schedules take a look at www.autox4u.com or www.themclub.net. Hope to see you at the next event.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I run 24mm rear, 20mm front. I didn't like my 22mm whiteline on my stock suspension. The front skated too much. That Cusco is 21mm though, right? That might be a good compromise. Let us know.

C

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ashish Shah said:
I'm assuming you are in Brooklyn NY. If you dont mind driving a little bit there are many AutoXs at the Giants Stadium in NJ. For the schedules take a look at www.autox4u.com or www.themclub.net. Hope to see you at the next event.
I forgot I even wrote this thread!

Ashish, I'm a regular at NASA events at Giant Stadium. Chances are, we've already run across each other.

GV27: Yes, it's 21 mm in the front.

Thanks for all your input, guys! I've been running with the rear bar on the max setting, and the car's felt solid. I've done at least 3 autocrosses, and the handling has improved dramatically. It's very easy now to induce a bit of oversteer by putting on a little gas on the sweepers, and the car feels much more balanced than before. I don't know how much is attributable to the new 17" Rota wheels, but I'm very happy with the swaybar.

Another question: As the weather becomes colder, I hear more squeaking from around the right, rear wheel. I suspect it's the swaybar bushing. As it's getting colder, the bushing is getting stiffer. Non? Whaddya think?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
I'm experimenting. I wanted to try smaller sway bars for gravel (rallyx) to allow the suspension to work more independently. I put the STi/SPT 19mm on the front and an oe (20mm) on the rear. I sold my Cusco bars (I probably should have held onto them-oh well:rolleyes: ). I won't get a chance to autox them until next spring. The car seems very neutral and suprisingly not a lot of body roll (I do have slightly stiffer springs- STi vs 180/180 DMS).

The bushings will squeak/creak more in the colder weather.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, at least I know it's not necessarily my poor driving skills.

I just got back from an autocross. Today's was atypically curvy and complex for a NASA event. More like an SCCA course. The weather was dry and about 60 degrees.

I repeated found that on sweeper curves, I could not maintain nearly the same speed as WRXs with stock swaybars! I realized that my Cuscos were so stiff that the rear end would swing out at the slightest throttle input. Now this is great for turns, but very frustrating and SLOW on sweepers where I had to maintain the same radius.

Moreover, even when pushing it a bit on the slalom, I spun out into 360s. I spun out a LOT today.

I don't know if the same thing would've happened if I had wider tires. I have 215/45/17 Kumho 712s. But the sawybars on the maz setting definitely overpowered any lateral grip my tires had.

Anyway, I put them on the "medium" setting. By there there were no more runs on the course, so I'm unable to give a coparison. But it felt much more stock as I drove on curving on-ramps en route home.

[Edited for spelling errors.]

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK. I went to an HPDE event at Lime Rock Park today. The track was slippery from light showers all morning.

I started the first session with the rear swaybars in the medium setting. We were only going about 6/10s at the time. However, I noticed that the rear slid uncomfortably on the tighter turns. Enough to make me nervous.

So I got down in the mud in the paddack and put the swaybar on the softest setting. Talk about a nice difference! I instructor even commented on how much better the new set up felt. By the time we were going 10/10 (all 4 wheels squealing) I was able to take turns at a greater rate of speed and feel pretty comfortable doing so.

Anyway, since the swaybar's pretty easy to adjust, I think I'll keep it here for now on the street and try it back at the medium setting for the final autcross of the season in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
17,861 Posts
bedabi,
i run the same setting front and rear :)

according to V the high setting may be to much on the clover leafs!! in the wet / greasy road surface as the rear rotates to quickly :)

Andy...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also run Cusco front and rear swaybars (ok, so the rear is the only one that's really needed, but I just feel if you upgrade one, you gotta do the other), but I've had an interesting experience with the rear settings.

When I first got it I set it to the 24mm max, had it like that for about 3 months. Then I put it on the 22mm min. setting, and actually liked that better with the stock suspension. Been running that for like three months. Next week I'm having an Anti-Lift Kit and Eibach springs installed - I'll certainly be playing with the settings again! Can't wait to see what I like better

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'm gonna sound like a tard but; which hole is which setting?
I just got my Cusco sway bar nad I want to set it at least first then go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
The holes on the very end of the blade are soft. The holes closest to the bar are hardest.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts