Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all. i was wondering if you guys could help me out. im gonna be installing the rear sway bar tomorrow, and all the instructions are in japanese.

i was wondering if you guys could throw a quick step by step for me.

thanks for the help.

jarel

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23

Let us know if you need any more help. Feel free to PM me as well, but everyone could probably benefit from the discussion.

The hardest part is getting the right side hanger bolt to thread right. That fuel thinga-ma-jig (I forget - is that like an overflow or something?) gets in the way. I got so frustrated I jammed it in cross-threaded. Now I'm praying I never have to remove it and pay for my stupidity/impatience/immaturity!

Other than that, it's an easy job. Do a search in this forum as well - I know there's been some discussion about raising the car while keeping the suspension loaded and other issues.

Chris

·
Registered
932 Posts
GV27 said:
Now I'm praying I never have to remove it and pay for my stupidity/impatience/immaturity!
That infamous temper! ;)

During a quick adjustment to softer settings at the track, I resorted to using the car's jack to line up the ends of the bar to the endlinks. If you have an isuue lining up the holes, you might give this a try. This was about the only problem I've encountered with the rear sway. It didn't take that long to install, as opposed to the front.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys. thanks for the help!

the install went pretty smooth, but the only complication was that i accidently over-torqued one of the bushing screws and it snapped. But we went to a couple of hardware stores and found a screw that fit it right until i get a replacement.

The bushing on the right side near the fuel thing was a pain to get in, but once it was set it was all good.

It helps to really have 2 people to do the job.

Overall the install went good and smooth. I have yet to fully try out the bar. BTW i set it to the highest setting. I'm going to try out the other settings later on.

I'll let you all know the results and how they do.

·
1,379 Posts
bedabi said:
During a quick adjustment to softer settings at the track, I resorted to using the car's jack to line up the ends of the bar to the endlinks.
Woo, cool idea, thanks bedabi! :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
jarelee said:
Overall the install went good and smooth. I have yet to fully try out the bar. BTW i set it to the highest setting. I'm going to try out the other settings later on.
Glad to hear the install went smoothly.

Here's a long thead about my experiences with different Cusco sway settings. You might want to read this and add your experiences there as well.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18509

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lubricant?

I got my rear bar (and kart boy end links) in the mail from Gruppe-S but haven't installed it yet. I thought it came with lubricant for the poly bushings that came with bar but it did not.

Can anyone tell me what type of grease I should use? I have some Pedro's SynGrease on hand that I use on bikes and other stuff but I am not sure if it's the proper grease for the sway bar bushings. Do I need a lithium grease or what?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I used regular grease. Don't know what kind exactly, it belonged to a friend. I get a few squeaks when it's cold out, but it's fine otherwise.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all.

I just installed the Cusco rear sway bar this past weekend. I have to say, overall the install went smoothly. It helps to have another person to help you out, and also a ramp to have the rear up on. The only problem with MY install was that I accidently over-torqued one of the bolts, and it snapped. So I had to run around town to find the right bolt to replace it.

The bar is a bit hard to get over the exhaust piping, but all it takes is patience and a little bit of wiggling to get it over. Once it is in place, it is pretty self-explanatory. Just make sure you torque all the bolts to the right specs.

Bushing bolt - 18 ft/lbs
Sway bar bolt to end links - 33 ft/lbs
(always make sure to check the settings for yourself)

REVIEW:
I took the car for a mild ride around the streets, and overall handling seems a bit more controlled and direct. Turning is a better increase over stock. I'd say the bar is worth the money and is a good mod to do.
After I'm able to test the car out more fully, I'll post up and let you all know.

BTW, this is my only suspension mod right now. Waiting on my springs.

Jarel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts