Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I just got off the phone with Matt Curry, really cool guy. I should have talked to him earlier. I just talked to another manager there, but I was a little mad at the time and just wanted my car working again.

So we resolved our differences, and I am pleased to say they are handling the situation very well. I have always heard good things about them, and now I can see why.

So tomorrow I will be taking my car back. I will ask them to take off the last turbo bracket and replace the bottom gasket for me and hopefully that will fix all the problems.

So if you need something done to your car, Curry's is still the place to go to in VA. If their is one thing that I think makes a company better then any other is its Customer Service, and Matt has demonstrated he has some of the best I have ever seen.

I will let everyone know how it works out after tomorrow. But I think everything will be good from now on. I am sorry it had to take this bad post by me to get this resolved. My apologies to Matt Curry.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The two holding bolts had only one thread to keep the uppipe on the exhaust manifold!!!!!!! I knocked the bottom one of by hand using a box wrench. This is supposed to be the tightest join in the installation!

What pisses me off even more is that they blamed the Godspeed uppipe for their incompetitence.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Being there for the whole install, I could definitly say that there were bolts that weren't tight like they should be. Wrong sizes, poor quality hardware, and just general incompetence. Unfortunately Kanos had to have his car go through this. :(

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
This just in...

I will be going to Fairfax, VA this Friday night (8/30/02) the to remove the other turbo bracket and fix this leak once and for all on Saturday (8/31/02). Kanos just has to decide whether he wants to keep his Godspeed uppipe (which he SHOULD) or go back to the stocker.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm gonna give the Godspeed one more chance, third times a charm right. I figure if it leaks after this I will just take it to my dealer. Who just called me back while typing this (Rich at Stohlman Subaru in VA) and said he has someone who will do it, but it will be 2-3 hundered dollars, which is about the average I guess (still much better then the 425 Curry's charged me). So I really hope we can get this thing working this weekend, and I think we will.

·
593 Posts
2-300 Umm heres me thinking I should have let someone else do it after 12 hours hard work installing it and un installing it and reinstalling it. :) Now I dont feel bad at all. Yeah Mine leaked so I slapped on a double gasket (I also only tightened to 28ibs too), some copper gasket high temp seal arround both gaskets and then it worked fine. I had a minor problem with the BOV my brother stripped the threads (my fault i thought it was steel case arround the intercooler so I told him to crank them babies :D) good job they are short studs and you can thread longer ones in. But yeah it took me 3 attempts to get it right. I even had to grind a bolt off and took some manafold with it due to it bending the first time round. Now its all set. (so it seems)

·
Registered
17 Posts
bad form

I would have been happy to give you half of your money back or maybe all of it if you had simply phoned me or Chris Coulter and explained the situation, I'm sure we could have could have come to a rational solution. Instead, you decide you slam us and make immature comments "those stupid idiots", etc. If you would like to talk about this calmy and rationally please call me at 571-522-1007 I am in my office today, if my secretary answers ask her to page me. I am apologize for the service problem you had, we are not perfect but do strive for it and we have done many.many Subaru installs and upgrades without complication, and are very reasonable people Every once in a great while, we are human like everyone else.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to start trouble, but I will stand up for Curry's.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. But, I've had ALL my work done at Curry's on both the BMW and the WRX. Those guys have been nothing but absolute pros with me. Mike trained with Cobb Tuning in Texas and will also be visiting TurboXS in the hopes of being able to take on some of the their customers who wish to dynotune their cars and can't book an appointment because of the back log. I've been there time and again for a routine oil change to a simple hand car wash to a clutch and flywheel job and I have had NO problems. In the past, Matt Curry has offered me his own personal car as a loaner, thrown in a couple free dyno runs, given me free car washes, and even offer me tickets for the recent Cadillac National Grand Prix in DC. I don't know any other shop in the area that will go to as much length to ensure customer satsifaction. The same can be said for the rest of the team (Dan who installed the RMS supercharger on the BMW, Chris, Marc, etc.).

People who have seen my cars, ridden in my cars, and driven my cars can attest to the professional install job and tuning. Curry's has proven to me that they can work on both German and Japanese import cars and I will vigorously defend their professionalism.

The local S2000 car club recently held a dyno session at Curry's as did some local WRXer's. They all came away with favorable impressions. This can't be coincidence. This is a testament to the hard work Matt has put into building a successful business establishment that has earned the respect of many customers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to start trouble, but I will stand up for Curry's.
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. But, I've had ALL my work done at Curry's on both the BMW and the WRX. Those guys have been nothing but absolute pros with me. Mike trained with Cobb Tuning in Texas and will also be visiting TurboXS in the hopes of being able to take on some of the their customers who wish to dynotune their cars and can't book an appointment because of the back log. I've been there time and again for a routine oil change to a simple hand car wash to a clutch and flywheel job and I have had NO problems. In the past, Matt Curry has offered me his own personal car as a loaner, thrown in a couple free dyno runs, given me free car washes, and even offer me tickets for the recent Cadillac National Grand Prix in DC. I don't know any other shop in the area that will go to as much length to ensure customer satsifaction. The same can be said for the rest of the team (Dan who installed the RMS supercharger on the BMW, Chris, Marc, etc.).

People who have seen my cars, ridden in my cars, and driven my cars can attest to the professional install job and tuning. Curry's has proven to me that they can work on both German and Japanese import cars and I will vigorously defend their professionalism.

The local S2000 car club recently held a dyno session at Curry's as did some local WRXer's. They all came away with favorable impressions. This can't be coincidence. This is a testament to the hard work Matt has put into building a successful business establishment that has earned the respect of many customers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
still, it was bad form

"He was a tad pissed off when we found out the cause of the leak."

I can understand him being upset and I would be too. My point is that it was definitly handled the wrong way. We go to great lengths insuring that the final product that we offer our customers is top notch, and we rarely fall short of that goal, when we do, I would like to know about it so I can address the problem and do something about, not read about it a forum.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Re: still, it was bad form

Matt Curry said:
"He was a tad pissed off when we found out the cause of the leak."

I can understand him being upset and I would be too. My point is that it was definitly handled the wrong way. We go to great lengths insuring that the final product that we offer our customers is top notch, and we rarely fall short of that goal, when we do, I would like to know about it so I can address the problem and do something about, not read about it a forum.
Agreed. I was not aware that Bryan did not ascend the chain of management to resolve the problem. Can you do anything to remedy this situation at this point? (Save me a trip to VA.) I have always heard good things about Curry's, but then I had to clean up a hell of a mess on Bryan's car.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Bryan and Matt,

I am very glad that you guys resolved this issue and were able to restore Curry's reputation.

Matt, from now on, make sure the same length and quality exhaust hardware gets put on the car and BOTH turbo brackets are removed and not replaced!!! ;) This will virtually eliminate leaks from the uppipe.

There aren't many of us that are willing to do this job (TOTAL PITA) because of the liability involved. I salute you for continued customer service and have no reservations about sending locals to your shop for performance installations.

-Jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Being a tech myself, both in dealerships and aftermarket performance shops, I understand that mistakes are made, and that sometimes things can be overlooked when trying to comeplete a job. I dont understand how this mistake was missed on a test drive, but as long as an effort is made to make ammends - then I think this can be forgiven. Especially since no permanent damage was done. It seems that all is working out, and they deserve another chance, at the very least of the merrit of customers like M+WRX.
(Paranthetically, I dont think that i see training at Cobb Tuning as a plus at this point in time. However, I will give them yet another chance to recover my opinion of them before I say anything more... Im sure a few of you reading this know what im talking about anyway...)

Speed safely,

Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well as you might have read in the engine performance section they fixed my leak and everything is working great now. I would just like to say the people at Curry's were very helpful. They even let me driver their Mini Cooper S to work while they worked on my car. I have already told some of my friends to get their work done their as they do a great job. Thank You for all your help Curry's.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well Im glad it all worked out. Hopefully, Ill be able to say the same thing about Cobb in a week or so...

speed safely,

Joe
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Glad to hear that everything went well.
Joe - I really hope that Unichip comes soon!!! Let us know when it arrives

-Josh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts