Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curry's - A real disaster! (long)

Talk about getting the run around. Talk about getting a screwing!

I took my car to Curry’s to install an SAFC. Andy, Weasel 555, runs this set up and sees fabulous power. In order to be very safe, I also had them install Sti injectors and Perrin fuel rails. I was so concerned about fuel, I sent the injectors to RC Engineering to be tested and, if necessary, balanced. Curry’s was going to do all the work and then run tune the car on the Dyno. I had discussed the set up with Mark, who left Curry’s, and the technician who said he could safely tune my car. You can see the “safely” issue was important to me.

I drove up to Sterling, VA from Richmond the night before the work was to be done and stayed in a hotel so the car would be cool enough to work on. Curry’s opens at 7:30 and I parked outside with the hood propped up when everyone arrived. The car was ready to go!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2

Unfortunately, the tech didn’t arrive to work on time and I set in the waiting room for several hours. He did the install and work and set about getting the car on the Dyno. By this time, it was about 5:00 PM. Currys has no intercooler fan and one large fin in front of the radiator. The Dyno runs were more like a torture test. My intercooler got so hot, when we sprayed it, the water flashed to steam. Oil temps soared over 230 degrees! And it went on and on with the car detonating like nuts. Turns out, the tech was adjusting the fuel leaner instead of richer. When he discovered his error, it was too late.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Part 3

I drove the car to PA when it was done. On the way back to Richmond, it started acting up. CELs for lean run. There were real weird noises coming from the engine and the oil pressure dropped 20psi. Since then, I get a CEL every day for misfires. Another sure sign of bearing damage.

Now they're giving me the run around. Unbelieveable!

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is CRAZY. This is a good example of poor customer service of “respected” tuner shops. You go to them because they are "Experts", and because you want your car taken car of. Then, because of incompetence, they screw your car up. And then they don’t want to fix the problems they caused! Unbelievable. I can assure you that they will get none of my business.

·
Registered
949 Posts
That fuggin sucks!!! If I were you, I'd be doing something to have them pay for the damages. Whether it's contacting a lawyer and bringing their asses to court, or calling the better business bureau. You gotta do something! If any 'certified' tuner did that to my REX, you'd better believe that his wife wouldn't recognize him the next morning!!:mad: :eek: :mad:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called them and told them about the problem. Their first response was for me to take the car back to stock and take it to a Subaru dealer!

I had the car up there once since for them to look at it. They said it's OK. When I picked it up, I drove about 2 miles and a CEL came on. Now they want me to bring it back again.

misterx

·
Registered
298 Posts
MisterX said:
I called them and told them about the problem. Their first response was for me to take the car back to stock and take it to a Subaru dealer!

I had the car up there once since for them to look at it. They said it's OK. When I picked it up, I drove about 2 miles and a CEL came on. Now they want me to bring it back again.

misterx
Taking it back to stock is not an option for most of us. That, again, is showing how poor their customer service is. If a customer’s car has a problem after work has been performed, they should investigate, 1st what the problem is, and 2nd what needs to be done. It seems that they are just blowing you off.

I work primarily in computers. If I am installing a part into a customer’s computer and I fry something, I find out what the problem is then fix it myself. I don’t say "Sorry, you are going to need to take everything out of it and take it back to Best Buy for warranty repair".

The very fact that they were leaning it out when it needed to be richened up during dyno runs shows their carelessness. If your intercooler was so how that it flashed water, who knows what all got screwed up.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a while during the dyno session the tech turned off the fan!

They had wasted so much time during the day, they rushed my dyno session so people could go home. It was Friday evening, after all.

Also, there was another customer there with a rere Porsche who had a poorly painted headlight trim ring (Curry's problem). The tech needed to get me out of there to work on the Porsche so he could have his pic published in a magazine with his car.

misterx

·
Registered
298 Posts
MisterX said:
Also, there was another customer there with a rere Porsche who had a poorly painted headlight trim ring (Curry's problem). The tech needed to get me out of there to work on the Porsche so he could have his pic published in a magazine with his car.

misterx
So basically they screwed up your car because you were not as important as the Porsche guy.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they screwed my car because they don't know what they're doing.

How is a tune going to be helpful if it's done with a sreaming hot intercooler and oil temps over 230 degrees? That's not a real world situation.

misterx

·
1,263 Posts
Not a good story at all.
I am not full bottle on the laws here in the US, but I believe you have a strong case for them to come to the party on fixing/paying for your damage.

I would suggest taking to car to another tuning shop to record what settings Curry's have done for you and give you a quote for re-tune and repair. They can make an accurate statement that the state of your vehicle is as a result of the tuning done by Curry's. Send that to Curry's with a letter of demand (you don't need a lawyer for this).

Keep a written record of EVERYTHING that happens from now on and what is said. Call them and tell them what you are going to do and give them a chance to come to the party. Tell them your feelings (ie they screwed you and your car) and ask them to respond to this (write it all down).

Most important thing here is stay calm through all of this. This is the hardest bit of all. But unless you are ouchy the clown or the Rock they are not going to be swayed by you yelling or swearing at them. Be firm about what you want and what will make you happy, if they refuse - so be it, inform them of what you are going to do. Also inform them that the Better Business Bureau will be informed of the situation - make sure you do not make this sound like a threat. Threats get people to dig in rather than fold.

Post your story regularly and the developments here and on nasioc - let Curry's know that you are doing that also (read above on threats).

I wish you the best of luck - keep us informed and we'll be your think-tank.

Cheers,

Andrew

PS: Edit: Make sure you take down the names of whoever you talk to. If possible, speak with the shop owner/manager.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a note I sent to Bedabi during the Dyno session:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MisterX wrote on 11-22-2002 06:26 PM:
This is scarey. Setting the fuel and I can hear detonation. Then we reset the fuel and run like hell again up to 7k rpms. I've never run the car this hard.

russ

·
Registered
932 Posts
MisterX said:
Here's a note I sent to Bedabi during the Dyno session:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MisterX wrote on 11-22-2002 06:26 PM:
This is scarey. Setting the fuel and I can hear detonation. Then we reset the fuel and run like hell again up to 7k rpms. I've never run the car this hard.

russ
Yeah, I got that note all right. Detonation should NOT be happening!

Aussie's got the right idea. Attention to details will help greatly in the long run.

X, I'm glad you finally put the word out. Curry needs to be outed for this! :mad:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Someone should tell Curry's dumb ass to look upon these boards and see the bad publicity they're getting. Thanks to the almighty power of the internet, one could go on other boards and express their misfortune to other tuners, and eventually Curry's would be no more!!

Now only if we could do that with APC!!:D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got this on most of the WRX forums. Bedabi, you know I've held back this thread hoping Curry's would help me out. Had that happened, I think I would have kept quiet. Or I would have given them a good word for stepping up to the plate.

They have completely runied my WRX experience. I can't tell you how disappointed I am.

misterx

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Wow, that is REALLY horrible :( I totally agree with Aussie, and he's right...you'll want to cross-post this on NASIOC and I-Club too. Curry's doesn't visit here often, but I know they go to the other forums. The more people are aware of this, the better.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah I know they view the fourms, when I posted my uppipe leak problem Curry's saw it and then we got in touch over the phone to work things out. Needless to say I am back to the stock uppipe now after getting my third uppipe leak. I hope you can get things worked out, I got very upset with my little uppipe leak problem and yours sound even worse.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
KanosWRX said:
Yeah I know they view the fourms, when I posted my uppipe leak problem Curry's saw it and then we got in touch over the phone to work things out. Needless to say I am back to the stock uppipe now after getting my third uppipe leak. I hope you can get things worked out, I got very upset with my little uppipe leak problem and yours sound even worse.
Damn, that's right...Curry's rep is going down fast :mad:

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.