ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello members! Just joined the site today, and although I am an '07 Maxima driver, I have pretty much decided that my next car will be a WRX, and hopefully an STI. For the near future, I will not be in a position to buy one, not until most likely the end of this year. Has anyone heard anything about the '13 WRX? I've looked all over the Web and have seen mentions of a smaller engine producing the same amounts of power, a redesign, dropping the sedan trim and showing up as hatchback only, etc. Every place I look, the only consistent thing I have seen is that the car will definitely have a smaller engine (I've seen 2.0 and possibly a 1.6). I have seen renderings of WRX hatches and sedans, different release dates, and different articles about what the car will and will not be like. I really like the look of the '11 and '12 WRX (from what Subaru and the car magazines say, the WRX with the facelift will not come until sometime well into '13), so I hope it's not changed for a while. My question to all of you is, based on what anyone has heard, would it be better to wait and buy a new '13 after it comes out, or buy a used '12 with low miles? Ultimately, I'm hoping that when I'm ready to buy, the car will still look and sound like it does now. Thank you all, and for those of you who drive a Rex, enjoy and color me green with envy!! :)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,468 Posts
When the '13 comes out you will be given the choice directly of buying a used '12 or a new '13, so I'd simply wait and see. Nothing reliable has come out yet on the '13. If the rumours of the smaller motor are true that'd be a great step in the right direction for Subaru.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My question to all of you is, based on what anyone has heard, would it be better to wait and buy a new '13 after it comes out, or buy a used '12 with low miles? Ultimately, I'm hoping that when I'm ready to buy, the car will still look and sound like it does now. Thank you all, and for those of you who drive a Rex, enjoy and color me green with envy!! :)
There's no way to answer this right now. Like SD mentioned, it's all rumors at this point. Also you may be able to find a new 2012 clearanced enough at the end of the year to warrant buying it new. The only downside is the selection may be very limited (color and options). Considering how well WRX's have been holding their value it will probably come down solely on which style you like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood, Troz. If it comes to what you mentioned, buying a new '12 at the end of the year, I'd be willing to suck it up and take whatever options and color was available from a particular dealer. My happiness over having a Rex would be well worth it! According to Car & Driver, the WRX and STI will be produced as is through the first half of '13 until the new one comes along. So I'm hoping that's the case! BTW, if that's yours in the pic, congrats and enjoy driving it :)

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
If you are not in a hurry,I'd wait.If the new car gets better gas mileage,it would be a better choice.

Heck,If today's $4.25 is an indication of future gas prices,it would be better to get a Prius.

·
The Default One
4,489 Posts
From what I've read the 12's and 13's are going to be nearly identical.

As for 2014, only Subaru knows what will happen.
Don't pay any attention to the image motor trend supplies in this article below, the car won't look like that. However, Subaru and the rest of the industry are downsizing their engines. So don't be surprised if the next gen WRX has a smaller 2.0L or 1.6L engine.
Subaru Impreza, WRX Models to Diverge - Motor Trend

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the advice, Rage! But the Prius is definitely not my style. I drive a V6 that gets 27mpg on the highway, and will always appreciate the thrill of an internal combustion engine, a manual tranny, and loud exhaust (still a kid at 36!). Went for a ride in a friend's '10 STI hatch and it was exhilarating, so the Subie is definitely the car for me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts